Friday, November 10, 2006

Scotty Update

Several of you were following my posts about my big orange studmuffin Scotty, who was so very sick in early October, up through the time when
I finally brought him home on Oct. 9, after 10 days in the vet's intensive care. And we then began a new regimen, where I learned how to care for a diabetic cat. I had to stick a needle in his ear and make him bleed every morning and every evening in order to get a glucose reading. Depending on his glucose reading, I would determine the quantity of insulin I had to give him. He, of course, hated all that sticking. And I was still in my one-handed gimp state that made the process doubly difficult for both of us. And it broke my heart to hurt him. I frequently ended up in tears.

But we did settle into a rhythm.

Something weird started happening in late October. I was so suspicious of it that I have not written about it 'til now.

Depending on his glucose reading, he got insulin shots twice a day.

But on October 30, his glucose wasn't high enough (180 was the threshold) to warrant any insulin. Nor on the 31st. Nor on November 1st. Nor November 2nd or 3rd or 4th. So I started doing testing less frequently. And now we're to November 10th, and his glucose reading is still consistently in the normal range.

When I started seeing these normal-range readings I talked to my vet. And she told me that occasionally – and rarely – a diabetic cat can "convert" back to normal, but that she didn't really expect Scotty to do so. Now it's been two weeks of normal readings. I don't know what the heck's going on. But I am hopeful. And incredibly grateful that he seems so much healthier.

October was a miserable month for me. My cat at death's door. My hand paralyzed. I'm feeling now a little like someone who saw so much going away, then finds it all being restored. Like Job, I managed never to curse God. I was buoyed-up on the prayers of friends in my local and virtual communities. I know that God is not a genie or Santa Claus or some magical talisman. I know that many people suffer miserably, for absolutely no reason. I am just flat astonished at the blessings of healing I have seen in my life in these last few weeks.

I wish I had wise words with which to conclude, but I don't. I am just grateful for these unwarranted blessings. Profoundly and inarticulately grateful.

8 Comments:

Blogger Muerk said...

I'm so glad your gorgeous cat is better and your wrist too...

God bless

11/11/2006 5:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful news. At the very least this shows Scotty is fighting this thing with all his catty strength.

Now, Lisa, I'm going to say something very uncool. I'm incredibly old fashioned and orthodox in many of my beliefs and I really do believe in good and evil. From the word go I have thought it not unreasonable to assume you have been under attack (you had stuck your head above the trenches, somewhat and had been upsetting some rather strange people). However, as well as me you have some very good people praying for you and I think it looks like the good guys are winning.

I apologise if this makes no sense to you and please don't report me to the Liberal Police.

11/11/2006 6:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stud Muffin???

11/11/2006 6:13 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

MadPriest, you're not alone in these thoughts. I've had them too. About my recent life, certainly. And you don't even know the travails that other folks in The Episcopal Majority have suffered in the last few weeks ... because they are not bloggers. I too have had these "uncool and old-fashioned" thoughts about the war between good and evil. And I have talked with friends in exactly those terms.

You may recall that I titled one of my recent blog entries "Battling the Principalities and Powers." Yeah, I know this will probably sound melodramatic; but I do think that's what we are doing.

Some of us -- and you, MadPriest, are certainly among our leaders -- are trying to "give the lie" to the people who are trying to destroy the Anglican way of being Christ's body in the world today. I do believe we are engaged in a battle of light and darkness in our time.

Quit a while ago, Elizabeth+ told me that one of their core goals is to silence us. We just have to keep speaking the truth as the Spirit reveals it to us.

Keep blogging, my friend. And I will try to do the same. We need to keep speakng about our joy and our passions. We must not give in to the spirit of fear or anxiety.

11/11/2006 10:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A lovely story, Lisa. Thanks be to God.

11/12/2006 8:09 AM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Why, Grandmère Mimi! I'm honored you dropped in. You'll definitely add some class to this joint.

And thank you, Muerk! Hope things are well with you, too.

11/12/2006 3:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you in giving your kittycat insulin. I had a diabetic cat, Kurt, who went for an unbelievable 10 years after diagnosis. He went to heaven at the ripe old age of 18.

I also tested him with a glucometer, taking blood from the ear. Once you get him rather regular, you should only have to test him a couple times a week. You will be able after some time to know when he looks "funny" and you need to do a stick.

The other thing I would recommend is using PZI insulin rather than humulin, which is the stuff people take. PZI is pork based and seems to be more stable for pets. It is more expensive, but you use significantly less, so it all told is about the same.

There was a list that helped me figure out how to take care of my "sugar" kitty. The Muffin list - http://www.petdiabetes.net/ These folks are just very solid, wonderful and helpful.

Susan

11/12/2006 7:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lisa - Your Scotty looks just like my cat Yoda when he was younger!

He went to his reward last June at age 16. I miss him so.

Bless Scotty's lovely orange self!

11/13/2006 12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home