Monday, October 09, 2006

Homecoming

I was able to bring Scotty home this evening. Apparently – without warning – he has become diabetic, so I will be giving him insulin twice daily. My vet (Alice) also sent him home with a couple of prescription pills, which I'll need to administer for a while. One is an antibiotic for a urinary infection he developed; the other is to build-up his phosphate levels.

He's still pretty weak and sluggish. That's an understatement, actually. He's staggering badly, and it breaks my heart.

As Alice The Vet explained, his little body is using a lot of energy to rebuild red blood cells and re-equilibrate his chemistry. Sure is great to have the big orange guy home after a whole week in hospital.

After he had been home a few hours, I got concerned about his behavior, and called Alice on her after-hours number. We had a good, long talk. I learned something important: I thought when she sent Scotty home with me, it was like a person getting out of the hospital: moving from regular, low-grade care to home. Not so! It's more like taking someone from CCU straight into home. He's still that sick. When I talked to Alice tonight, one thing she said was, "Maybe I've sheltered you too much in the last few days." And she went on to explain how dim were her hopes that he would live. Actually, I'm grateful. I sensed how she was feeling, even when she didn't say it. I'm glad I didn't know how worried she was. I was worried enough myself. And now I have a better sense of what I am facing.

I've been trying to spend more time with Scotty than with the website and TEM right now. I know you'll understand and join me in giving thanks.

And I thank you for all your support and kind words.

BTW, several of you have asked me about my progress in contacting a neurologist about my hand. It hurts. A lot! Pain meds aren't touching it now. I did place a couple of calls, but yesterday was Sunday and today is a national holiday. I am going to pursue this! After 17 days of this hand thing, I have finally reached the limits of my endurance.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Give Scotty the best you have for as long as you have him. He is truly a blessing to you. And, I'm glad that you're taking care of yourself. Prayers and love,

10/10/2006 3:20 AM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Thanks! Scotty is still stable -- same as when I wrote this. No better, but no worse either. I give thanks for that.

10/11/2006 10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home