Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Bishops Theology Scenario

Bishop Whalon’s essay has led me to go back to the news in June and July 2009. We knew then that Bishop Henry Parsley appointed a group which he intended to be secret, to consider the issues related to same-sex blessings and ordination of people in same-sex relationships.

Here are some links – from my site and from the Episcopal Café.

We know that Bishop Parsley appointed eight people – four of whom would argue for LGBTs' place in the Christian community, and four who would argue against it. He didn’t seek impartiality or contemplation. He sought advocates. Further, he wanted them to write two competing papers, which would be delivered to the House of Bishops in 2011. All that happened in the middle of 2009. I ranted that the bishops were engineering the schedule to render our General Convention impotent.

But that didn’t work. Our General Convention made great strides this summer in Anaheim.

We know all that.

Real News

Note this, though, for it is truly news!! The secret panel was told to prepare their papers for consideration by the bishops in 2011. What LeMarquand reveals is that the papers are going to the House of Bishops meeting in March 2010 – a full year before the schedule we had been given.

I can't help but wonder if this is so the bishops can make their deliberations before the May deadline for consents on Mary Glasspool's election.

What else would account for the bishops and/or secret panel moving the schedule up by a full year?

Scenario

Perhaps I'm naive or downright foolish or blind in some other sort of way. But here's my hoped-for scenario:
  1. The House of Bishops will receive the secret panel's papers in March, and a vast majority will agree with the side that sees gay/lesbian Christians should be fully included in the rites of our church. If need be, they may instruct the panel to tweak the paper a bit.
  2. Meanwhile, most of the bishops will consent to Glasspool's election and consecration.
  3. The next House of Bishops meeting will formally adopt the statement (perhaps with amendments) from the panel as their statement on SSBs and LGBT ordinations.
  4. The bishops will then submit a resolution for GC2012, to the effect, "Resolved, that the nifty document, Queers are Really Welcome in TEC, shall be the official statement of this church."
  5. The deputies will concur.
  6. Peace will reign in TEC, the Anglican Communion, and all Christendom. Shortly thereafter, Jesus will come to establish his kingdom on earth.
What do you think of that scenario?

4 Comments:

Blogger IT said...

I think I want some of what you're drinking!

Sorry, my inner cynic says a scenario more likely is more wishy-washy, pleas not to "tear the communion", it's "premature", and we love our GLBT people, truly, just not like that....

and Glasspool will not get her consents (though it will be close.)

2/16/2010 10:48 AM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

IT, I invite you to join me in what I'm drinking. We'll have fun!

I believe the composition of the House of Bishops has changed significantly in the last few years. Thus, I don't think this is a wild fantasy. I believe a great many bishops are ready to make this happen.

If the scenario goes as I hope, I do believe Glasspool will get her consents. But, like you, I suspect (alas!) it will be close.

2/17/2010 12:25 AM  
Blogger JCF said...

Wot Lisa Said!

[Make my "Kool-Aid" a Merlot. Or maybe a nifty lil' Shiraz. ;-)]

2/18/2010 9:57 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

LOL, JCF! That merlot will be on me.

2/18/2010 11:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home