Wednesday, August 01, 2012

Biblical Marriage?

If you're on Facebook, I bet you've seen this graphic.  The Christianists want to pretend that God instituted a 20th-century understanding of marriage at the dawn of creation. But God did no such thing.  The uber-evangelicals are creating a myth.  The current understanding of marriage dates from the Victorian era.  The "biblical" understanding is more brutal toward women. 

This graphic is pretty good. Click on it to see it larger. 







Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger susan s. said...

Yes.

BTW, I like your Biblican typo that you deleted. That might just be a good word for folks who persecute others with their version of the Bible. . .
Biblicans. . . hmmm.

8/03/2012 1:36 PM  
Blogger JCF said...

Biblicans: loud and incessant Bible-misreading Republicans.

8/03/2012 3:57 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Good one, Susan. Yes, I corrected my typo. But I think you're right: "biblican" might be a handy term for those who use the Bible to clobber others.

JCF: That's a good working definition, but I don't think all the Biblicans are Republicans.

8/04/2012 5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home