Saturday, January 15, 2011

Age Joke

Having recently passed my 56th birthday, I think I can safely post and chuckle along with this. Thanks to my friend Bruce for sending it along.

During a visit to my doctor, I asked him, "How do you determine whether or not an older person should be put in an old age home?"
"Well," he said, "we fill up a bathtub, then we offer a teaspoon, a teacup & a bucket to the person to empty the bathtub."
"Oh, I understand," I said. "A normal person would use the bucket because it is bigger than the spoon or the teacup."
"No," he said. "A normal person would pull the plug. Do you want a bed near the window?"

I must confess: I find myself wondering what will happen if/when my body starts to fail me. I was grateful for this funny item from Bruce.

8 Comments:

Blogger PseudoPiskie said...

You walk a little slower. You stand up carefully. You can't lift the weight you think you can. (Like 50 lbs of birdseed.) It takes awhile to get going. But you keep on keeping on. There is no choice. Unless you want to make yourself and/or everyone else miserable. That's no way to live.

1/16/2011 2:15 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Thanks, Pseudo. It's really weird. I have to remind myself that "this is what it's like to be 56."

1/16/2011 7:10 PM  
Blogger Freda said...

This is a brilliant illustrative joke. Yes, I fell for it too.

1/17/2011 4:53 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

I'm older than Lisa, and I'm glad that by this anecdote I now know I'm not ready for the rocker by the window. I wondered why pulling the plug wasn't an option.

You also realize that things you remember *clearly* happened 40, even 50 years ago.

1/19/2011 11:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey lady, just wanted to say hi. Haven't read from you in a while (nor have I written... :S) and you remain in my thoughts after the loss of Scotty. Hope you are doing well. -Elle

2/13/2011 12:28 AM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Thanks for your concern and good wishes, 8thSac. I am doing ok about Scotty. It's other stuff that seems to have made me "lose my voice" for now. I trust I'll find it again, but I'm in a time of blogger-discernment.

2/13/2011 7:24 PM  
Blogger it's margaret said...

Love you and miss your voice here. Will keep your discernment in my prayers.

2/18/2011 5:38 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Thank you, Margaret. Prayers very much appreciated.

2/18/2011 8:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home