Sunday, November 28, 2010

New Deputy in the House

I wrote here about my standing for election as a Deputy to the 2012 General Convention. Frankly, I didn’t expect to be elected, particularly since all of our 2009 Deputies were running for re-election. And we had a marvelous deputation in 2009.

Against my expectations, I was elected to serve as one of the Deputies to the 2012 General Convention. For you wonks, I am L4; I garnered the 4th-highest votes for Deputy, so I will be at the General Convention in Indianapolis. I am awed and still trying to take in that reality. I am truly gobsmacked.

I am also sad that some of the people I wanted to return to GC came out as alternates. Jay Kloecker and Don Fisher were marvelous Lay Deputies in 2009. I regret that our convention did not return them to GC2012.

Beth Felice, our marvelous Director of Communications, has updated the Missouri GC blog. It’s here. I expect it will be pretty quiet until we get close to Indianapolis.

Thank you for all your prayers and encouragement. As I said before, I was trusting that what should happen would happen. I suppose this is it. I am amazed to be elected, but I can promise I will work my butt off to be a good Deputy in 2012!

Here's a funny side-effect. I have been a kibitzer on the Bishops/Deputies listserv since 2003. I have made many friends there all across the spectrum of our church, and I have had many fruitful conversations with deputies. Over the last few days, some discussions have emerged, and I've sent notes to my brothers and sisters, asking them to post my comments as a kibitzer to the list. Today, one of my friends informed me that I can change my status to "member" rather than "kibitzer," so that I can post in my own name. DUH! I totally forgot. ... I hope I can maintain my baptismal vows now that I have posting privileges on the HoBD list.

I'm a long-time member of the Order of St. Verbosia. As I also wrote here. I hope I can be careful and respectful in my postings. I hope I can adhere to the Rule of the Order. I hope I can contribute to a dialogue that urges: “Less heat! More light!”

I'm grateful to Elizabeth Kaeton for the "Verbose Crab" image.

8 Comments:

Blogger Malcolm+ said...

Congratulations, Lisa.

11/28/2010 11:32 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Thanks, Malcolm.
BTW, I'm in awe at what you're doing!

11/28/2010 11:38 PM  
Blogger JCF said...

Congrats!

I know you'll do your diocese---and all your blog pals!---proud, Lisa.

11/29/2010 12:07 AM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Deep thanks, JCF. I'll give it my best shot. And I'll keep blogging.

11/29/2010 12:22 AM  
Blogger Malcolm+ said...

I assume you're referring to the Coalition work. I'm really blessed to have fallen in with such a talented group of people.

11/29/2010 11:54 AM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Yes, Malcolm -- that's what I meant. I am in awe of what you and your compatriots are doing. Blessings to you!

12/02/2010 12:44 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

Congratulations, Lisa, for an honor well-deserved!

12/22/2010 3:15 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Thanks, Margaret ... though I will not entertain discussion of whether I "deserve" it or not. I'm just honored and humbled by the diocese's action.

12/22/2010 9:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home