Friday, November 05, 2010

David Fly's Magical Mystery Tour

I am happy to commend to you an essay written by my friend David Fly. He gave it the title, “Magical Mystery Tour.” It’s online here, and it is magical. It might refresh your vision of ministry – baptismal and ordained – and love for the church in these times.

I’m tempted to copy the entire essay here, but I don’t want to hog the hits. So I’ll just provide this snippet from early in the piece:

Over forty years ago, on the eve of my graduation from seminary, I got the jitters. Was I doing something God wanted me to do? How would I know? When would I know? I took my questions to my liturgics professor, Tom Talley. “How often do you know that the Holy Spirit is working in your life?” I asked. Father Talley was quiet for a moment. Then he smiled and said, “Oh, I figure about every ten years.”
I was stunned. This wasn’t the answer I had been looking for.
You must read his reflections on that counsel and how it has come to fruition in his life.

You’ll also read about David’s encounter with a disgusted graduate student who is inclined to ditch her study of statistics and establish a “Society for the Preservation of Amazement.” David has found that Society, and so have I … and so have many of you, I bet, if your eyes and spirits are open.

David’s a master storyteller, gifted preacher, and dear friend. Hie thee hither and read about the Magical Mystery Tour.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kirkepiscatoid said...

Well, and I tag teamed on it over at my place by borrowing his teacher's quote!

11/05/2010 11:25 AM  
Blogger Freda said...

Thanks so much for sharing the link to David Fly. He has such gentle wisdom. I've been struggling over how to best live my retirement in an ongoing ministry sense, and indifferent health precludes the usual preaching and generally helping out in the church. This idea of the magical and special tour gives me great hope.

11/06/2010 12:24 PM  
Blogger it's margaret said...

You are right --that's a keeper!

11/06/2010 3:24 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Freda, you are right: David is a wise and gentle man. I think he's struggling in ways similar to yours: how to exercise ministry in retirement. But his sense of magic does speak to me.

I hope you will find something that captures the magic and mystery for you.

11/08/2010 9:38 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Thanks for dropping in, Margaret. I bet you're the kind of priest that David is ... and that's a high compliment.

11/08/2010 9:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home