Monday, August 09, 2010

BREAKING: Fox News Supports Gay Marriage

Admittedly, that’s a teaser headline. I don’t watch Fox News, but I expect that their talking heads are still exploding at the California Supreme Court’s decision last week to overturn Prop 8 and thus re-open marriage to gay and lesbian couples. However, people responding on the Fox News website apparently do support gay marriage. Now that is a news flash!

[BTW, Need I tell you how very much I hate sharing my name with such a loathsome propaganda machine?! I hate it!]

Paul Ambos, a participant on the Bishops/Deputies listserv, alerted us that Fox News posted a poll last week about the California Supreme Court’s decision. The Fox poll asked the question,

"Did Judge Make Right Call In Gay Marriage Case?”

and the Fox survey allowed these responses:
  • Yes -- Prop. 8 violates the Constitution.
  • No -- Marriage is an institution between a man and a woman. I don't care what the judge thinks about the Constitution.
  • I'm not sure but shouldn't the voters views count for something?
  • Other (leave a comment).
With Paul Ambos, I am intrigued that the Fox News online survey distinguished issues of morality from issues of constitutional analysis. It was a “leading” survey, which basically forced respondents to declare their belief in the Constitution or admit they value theocracy over constitutional government.

Anyway … I held my nose and went to register my opinion on the Fox site, expecting to me as much a minority there as I am when I vote in my local elections. Imagine my surprise! 72% of respondents are agreeing that Prop8 violates the Constitution. Only 24% are going for the “Damn the Constitution! I hate queers!” option.

I am astonished.

So … If you haven’t already done so, hold your nose and register your opinion at the Fox News site. You don’t have to register, reveal your e-address, or anything. You can just click and vote. Frankly, I am utterly astonished that they haven’t pulled this poll.

17 Comments:

Blogger susan s. said...

319,302 Total votes! Wow!

8/09/2010 9:47 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Roger that!

8/09/2010 10:21 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

I didn't notice that vote total, Susan. Thanks. That makes the 72% "approve" even more significant ... doesn't it?

8/09/2010 10:47 PM  
Blogger Kirkepiscatoid said...

Jeez, Lisa. First I admit to have taken a Republican ballot in the primary some years back, and now you want me to register for Faux News. haven't I been traumatized enough?

8/10/2010 12:00 AM  
Blogger susan s. said...

Maria, you don't have to register. . . just vote!

8/10/2010 12:15 AM  
Blogger susan s. said...

And the count is now 319,463

8/10/2010 12:16 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8/10/2010 9:59 AM  
Blogger Freda said...

Duly voted from the UK

8/10/2010 2:09 PM  
Blogger Kirkepiscatoid said...

Well, if I start getting tea partier spam, I am forwarding every e-mail to Lisa for polluting my hard drive with some cookie. When I was over there I felt like I was going to get an STD. It felt dirty and icky. That little part of my brain that plays background music was playing "Mama told me not to come," by Three Dog Night.

8/10/2010 6:56 PM  
Blogger Jane Ellen+ said...

Total votes (with mine): 321,110. Percentages holding steady. Amazing.

8/10/2010 10:02 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

LOL, KirkE. But believe me when I say it can't possibly pain you more than it pains me to go to the Fox site. And as Susan S. observed, you don't have to register or anything; you can just click and vote. It's relatively painless ... even for a Yeller Dawg Democrat.

8/10/2010 10:02 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Thanks, Freda.

8/10/2010 10:03 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

LOL, KirkE, @ your comment this evening! But it sounds like you did venture over there and vote, for which I am grateful.

8/10/2010 10:04 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Indeed, Jane Ellen+, and it is amazing. I just popped over there again, and the vote is still about 72% supporting the judiciary finding. I am astonished.

8/10/2010 10:09 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

OOPS! Thanks for the correction, Frank.

8/11/2010 8:59 PM  
Blogger Wade said...

Gosh, it's still up and it's still 72%, didn't think to look at the vote totals. Now if you'll excuse me I feel like I REALLY need a shower...

8/15/2010 6:40 AM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

That's amazing, Wade. I would have thought the wingnuts would have swooped in and "fixed" the results.

Yeah ... I know what you mean about feeling the need to take a shower.

8/17/2010 8:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home