Friday, June 18, 2010

Our PB at Southwark

I am going to assume that you readers are following the news. I will assume that you know +Rowan (or someone higher than him at Lambeth Palace*) forbade +KJS to function or vest as a bishop, and that he (or someone higher than him at Lambeth Palace*) forbade her to wear the mitre that a bishop would generally wear. You can find relevant posts on Twitter or in the blogosphere by searching “mitregate.”

Now … mind you … I’m not going to get all hung up on whether or not a bishop gets to wear a silly hat … or what kind of hat she or he gets to wear. [BTW, Laura cracked me up with this one.]

But it is curious that the Archbishop of Canterbury (or someone higher than him at Lambeth Palace*) had no problem with Presiding Bishop Griswold appearing in full episcopal regalia at Southwark in 2006 . . . but then ordered +KJS not to vest as a bishop at Southwark Cathedral this past Sunday.

What is the difference? Is it merely gender? Or is +Rowan really trying to infuriate the Episcopal Church (U.S.), as Father Jake wonders.

Other bloggers were way ahead of me when they posted and commented on the sermon our Presiding Bishop delivered at Southwark. It didn’t strike me at the time, but now it does. Now I know that +Rowan Williams (or someone higher than him at Lambeth Palace*) made her submit proof of her ordination yet again, and now I know that he (or someone higher than him at Lambeth Palace*) forbade her to vest as a bishop.

So this sentence from her Southwark sermon sounds a bit different to my ears than it did before. She said:

It’s hard work to get to the point where you’re able and willing to see the Lord of love in the odorous street person next to you in the pew. It can be just as hard to find him in the unwelcoming host.
Simon the Pharisee was Jesus’ “unwelcoming host” in last Sunday’s Gospel. But – to my ear – Rowan Williams was the “unwelcoming host” to Katharine Jefferts Schori in Southwark last weekend. It seems to me that +Rowan is giving the Pharisees a run for their money.

Of course, I will never know what +KJS meant by that “unwelcoming host” reference – whether it was only a biblical reference or a reference to current events. But it seems to me that the shoe fits the Archbishop of Canterbury very well.

I am also struck by this comment at Thinking Anglicans, from a person who was at Southwark:

I have been wondering since Sunday why +Katherine carried her mitre over her heart during the Mass at Southwark. Was it her silent and dignified protest on behalf of the dignity of women and the Church that elected her, and continues to thank God that we did so?
Posted by: karen macqueen+ on Tuesday, 15 June 2010 at 5:07pm BST



I have seen photographs of +Katherine carrying the mitre under her arm, but that is the only comment I have seen that said she carried it “over her heart” at some point in the service. I hope it is true. For it would speak volumes against the tyranny of the man who is trying to morph into Pope Rowan I.

What do you make of this?

* The reason I added "or someone higher than him at Lambeth Palace" is that Ruth Gledhill is reporting that "'Lambeth Palace are [sic] investigating the way the leader of The Episcopal Church was treated in Britain this week ...." Apparently "Lambeth Palace" is investigating why "Lambeth Palace" behaved in this way toward Bishop Jefferts Shori. Solipsism, much? ....

June 18 addendum: It may be that I'm indebted to Grandmère Mimi for that insight. I visited many sites yesterday, including hers, and it's possible that her comment is what inspired my "or someone higher" snark/question/insight.

9 Comments:

Blogger BOB MCCLOSKEY said...

Lisa -

It has been said in several replies but I will repeat it. In Britain, corporate entities are usually referred to in the plural. Lambeth Palace is a corporate entity, so following customary usage the reference you [sic] is normal in English parlance. Having owned a home in England for two decades I still get taken back a bit by it.
Bob McCloskey

6/18/2010 8:47 AM  
Blogger June Butler said...

"or someone higher than him at Lambeth Palace"

Lisa, I had the same thought. I asked three questions at WB:

Is Lambeth Palace investigating Lambeth Palace?

Is Lambeth Palace investigating Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams?

...is it possible that the directives to Bishop Katharine denying her the use of the symbols of her office as Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church and demanding verification of her orders went out without the knowledge of the Archbishop of Canterbury?


Great minds....

6/18/2010 10:37 AM  
Blogger Paul (A.) said...

Further to Bob's comment, the plural is commonly used for collective nouns, and since Lambeth Palace is constructed of a pile of stones (sometimes referred to as a "box of rocks"), the usage is appropriate.

6/18/2010 11:34 AM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Yes, Bob, I know that ... thanks to the helpful comments you've been posting on other blogs. [I sense we must be visiting the same sites.] I added "sic" simply to let folks know that I was quoting verbatim.

6/18/2010 7:51 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Grandmère Mimi, I'm now wondering if I committed accidental plagiarism. I visited a ton of sites yesterday, including yours. It's possible that your insight is what motivated my "or someone higher" snark/question/insight. I'm going to edit my post to reflect my probable debt to you.

6/18/2010 7:55 PM  
Blogger June Butler said...

Lisa, Lisa! You did not have to add your addendum. Remember: There is nothing new under the sun. I'm sure I've done the same thing many times. You are welcome to anything of mine, even without attribution.

6/18/2010 8:08 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

I know that, Mimi. But after the recent unpleasantness The Evil Lesbian Priestess experienced, I am being doubly attentive to my sources and those who may have been my sources.

Besides, it was a great excuse for sending more of my folks over to your wonderful site ... if any of them aren't already going there.

6/18/2010 8:13 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

I know, Mark. Go to Chez TELP and put "plagiarism" in the search. That will bring up a post from April 2010. Strangely, the hyperlink doesn't work.

6/18/2010 11:20 PM  
Blogger MarkBrunson said...

Ohhhhhh . . . I remember now.

6/18/2010 11:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home