Monday, May 17, 2010

The Rev. John Danforth

Episcopal News Service reports that the Rev. John Danforth has been honored at the Episcopal Seminary of the Southwest. Some of you may recall he was a U.S. Senator from Missouri. Some will recall his marvelous work in bringing peace to Sudan, which ended the years-long civil war. Those of us in Missouri honor him as a priest; he’s still canonically resident here and is a regular parishioner in one of our St. Louis parishes. While he was Attorney General of Missouri, he frequently preached and celebrated mass in the capitol city parish that is now my home.

Personally, I remember him as the only Republican for whom I have voted since I became eligible to vote in the mid-1970s. I have been proud of his reasonable voice in the last few years, as he decries – as do I – a lack of civility and statesmanship in the U.S. Congress.

Yes, I am also aware that he supported Clarence Thomas for a position on the Supreme Court. Surely, that was the stupidest thing that the brilliant Jack Danforth has ever done – giving us perhaps the stupidest person ever to don the black robes of a Supreme Court Justice. But I believe that’s just an odd blip on an otherwise brilliant career.

All in all, I’m proud to honor the Rev. John Danforth as a priest and grateful for his work as a statesman – especially for his work for peace in Sudan. I’m glad ETSS gave him this award.

Photo courtesy of this site.

5 Comments:

Blogger susan s. said...

Yes, voting for Thomas was a stupid thing for him to have done. I like to think that we're all allowed 1 stupid thing. I know I have done many more than one stupid thing, never having been in a position of power that high up on the ladder gives me comfort that mine don't affect quite so many people.

An aside. . . My sister and I were watching Reagan's funeral(she's a Republican Southern Baptist, I was visiting her and it was all that was on TV that day). She expressed amazement that Danforth is an Episcopal priest and that he actually preached 'The Gospel' !!!!! I was happy to point out that we Episcopalians actually hear a sermon based on 'The Gospel' every Sunday.

5/17/2010 2:06 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

I agree, Susan. And, knowing what I do about Danforth, I believe he must cringe each time Idiot Silent Clarence issues an opinion.

Thanks for sharing your story about the Reagan funeral. People are so ignorant about us Episcopalians. :-(

5/18/2010 12:26 AM  
Blogger Kirkepiscatoid said...

I am with you, Lisa, but I do want you to know that it is at the risk of my grandmother spinning in her grave. I think about the kindest thing my granny ever called Danforth was "Ol' skunk-head" (back when he had the one white forelock with the dark hair.)

I am also not sure how she would feel about me being Episcopalian. I remember as a kid, going by the now-defunct St. James church and asking her "who goes to church there?" and her reply was, "Republicans." I knew it was not a place I should want to go! LOL

5/19/2010 11:39 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

That's funny, Maria! I thought his grey streak was rather sexy.

And isn'T it rather amazing how TEC has moved to the left?

5/19/2010 11:55 PM  
Blogger Kirkepiscatoid said...

Yes, it has--and it's kind of a hoot!

5/20/2010 10:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home