Sunday, April 04, 2010

Triduum Lost

I apologize to all those whose e-mails have gone unreplied, whose blog-posts have gone unread, whose notes have been ignored.

On the afternoon of Wednesday in Holy Week, I felt a little under the weather. On Maundy Thursday, I woke up barely able to breathe. Yukky congestion, cough, shortness of breath, all that stuff. I self-medicated, so that I was able to make it into the office around 2pm, and then served as crucifer and LEM at our Maundy Thursday service. [I figured it was just my usual springtime allergy plague. But, just to be sure, I did Purell myself, did not drink from the chalice, etc.] I hoped to have some deep thoughts and reflections to offer on that service. But all I managed was to survive it.

I came home Thursday night, fell into bed. And that’s where I stayed through the Triduum. Dang it!

I wanted to be at all the services. But no. From Thursday evening 'til Sunday morning, my journey was restricted to the bed, the sofa, and the kitchen.

This Easter morning, when I made it all the way to the porch, I felt my own personal “alleluia.” I had energy and vigor to make it to church … where I served as crucifer for our main Easter service. (Yes, I was well enough to do it without endangering the public health.)

I am seriously bummed. I count on observing the Triduum with the church and with my parish community. Saying the services here alone (as I did) was a miserable substitute.

Fortunately … as the Cubs (and others) say: There’s always next year. Next year to have a better Lent, share a better Triduum.

P.S.: Some of you will understand how sick I was when I say this: I didn’t even have the energy to log onto e-mail or the Web from Thursday until this evening. I can’t remember when I last stayed offline that long. … But I think I’m back now.

21 Comments:

Blogger ROBERTA said...

glad you're back on your feet!!!

4/04/2010 10:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's safe to say your chances for next year are better than the Cubs'. Glad you're back in the land of the living! Alleluia!

4/04/2010 11:20 PM  
Blogger JCF said...

Feel better, Lisa (And, reading you were "barely able to breathe," I pray you have been/will be given the strength to quit smoking)

4/04/2010 11:27 PM  
Blogger Kirkepiscatoid said...

When I've been that sick, in the local vernacular, I would have said, "I was so sick I didn't know if I was afoot or horseback."

4/04/2010 11:35 PM  
Blogger June Butler said...

Lisa, I'm sorry you were so sick, but I'm glad you're feeling better. As you say, there's always next year.

4/05/2010 12:04 AM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Thanks, y'all, for the good wishes and funny quips.

Of course, KirkE wins -- as usual -- in the Quips category. :-)

JCF wins again in the Nagging category. And in record speed this time. (But I am grateful for your concern, JCF.)

4/05/2010 12:08 AM  
Blogger Fran said...

Easter joy to you; sorry you were unwell and missed part of Triduum.

4/05/2010 5:08 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

Wow -- glad you just curled up under the covers and gave your body a chance to heal. Sorry you missed out on the church communal celebration - having your own personal death and resurrection I guess. Good you are on the mend. And ditto JCF - tho only because we love you and want you to stay well. Not nagging - caring -- tho I know it sounds like nagging.

4/05/2010 8:27 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth Kaeton said...

You? Too sick to be crucifer? You musta been MAJOR sick. Feel better my dear. Alleluia, he is risen - and so have you.

4/05/2010 9:45 AM  
Blogger Susie Erdey said...

Glad you're back among the living, Lis! There's nothing like feeling like you've been run over by an 18-wheeler to make you appreciate resurrection!

4/05/2010 10:29 AM  
Blogger IT said...

Glad you're back among the living...do take care.

And what JCF said, from your favorite cancer researcher. :-)

4/05/2010 11:04 AM  
Blogger Nigel said...

We were almost in the same club. It had been well over a year since I had last had a cold, but I started one on Wednesday. I missed all of Maundy Thursday and Good Friday, but (Like you) I made it to the 10 am on Sunday in time to hear the six person brass choir we hire each year, as well as singing or saying the "A-word" at least twenty times. It was strange not to touch anyone when passing the Peace.

This was Robbin Clark's last Easter before her retirement. Until a few years ago, I would attend Tenebrae and the Great Vigil. Now I skip the former and refrain from waking up my 84 year old spouse to drive me to church for a 5:30am start. I'll really miss Robbin, who (IMO) has never been more effective as our Rector.

4/05/2010 12:50 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Yes, yes, yes. I was miserably sick. Still not right, truth to tell.

EK, you sweetie, you wrote: "You? Too sick to be crucifer? You musta been MAJOR sick." You got that right! If I could drag my carcass to the church to be crucifer, I would have done it. I'm glad you got it.

4/05/2010 11:04 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Thanks, Ann. It's not often that I succumb that way, but I had no energy to do anything else.

Yeah ... I hear what you and JCF are saying. And I hear it comes out of fondness. But a body's got to have one vice, eh?

4/05/2010 11:07 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Thanks to you, too, Fran and Susie and IT and Nigel. I didn't expect so many people to pop in here. But I am truly grateful for your good wishes. I'm just too pooped to offer more personal thanks. I hope you'll understand.

4/05/2010 11:09 PM  
Blogger Joanna Depue said...

Next year - not in Jerusalem - in Jefferson City you will 'lift high the cross' once again. Be well.

4/05/2010 11:22 PM  
Blogger JimB said...

I am glad you are OK now. On 'next year,' for the Cubs it never comes. I pray you are actually OK next year.

FWIW
jimB

4/06/2010 8:47 AM  
Blogger JCF said...

I always measure the displeasure I give by nagging my friends-addicted-to-cigarettes . . . by the thought that they will be able to give me back what-for for nagging them So Much Longer!

[Re "a body's got to have one vice, eh?": I'd be happy to suggest others! {waggles eyebrows}]

4/06/2010 11:32 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

No, Jim. I'm sorry if I misspoke. I'm still far from ok. :(

4/07/2010 8:46 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Got it, JC ... with an eyebrow-waggle back at ya. Wish I had another glorious vice!

4/07/2010 8:47 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

And in case anybody's still following this thread, I finally broke down and went to my doc. I was tired of feeling tired and not being able to breathe. She ordered xrays, because they're seeing an unusual spike in pneumonia around here. But -- hooray! -- I merely have garden variety bronchitis. She gave me that yummy codeine cough syrup ... but otherwise left me to my own devices. I haven't missed any more days off work, after those first couple of days. And folks at work are being pretty kind to me re: my low energy level.

Oh-blah-dee, oh-blah-dah ... Life goes on.

4/07/2010 8:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home