Friday, March 26, 2010

Evil

During Lent, my parish has been gathering for evening prayer on Thursdays. Tonight, it was my deep honor to lead evening prayer for the parish.

After evening prayer, we have a simple soup supper, then a program. This year, the programs have focused on spirituality and the arts. Tonight was poetry. My dear friend Ken Winn led the program. He presented two poems for our reflection: Langston Hughes’ “Evil” and Billy Collins’ “Picnic, Lightning.”

After our conversations in the past day or two, Hughes’ “Evil” seemed especially relevant to me. Here it is:
Evil
Looks like what drives me crazy
Don't have no effect on you –
But I'm gonna keep on at it
Till it drives you crazy, too.
Say amen, somebody!

4 Comments:

Blogger Wormwood's Doxy said...

Not sure I *want* to say "Amen!" to that...

But I surely agree with Hughes. And I love that your parish does a "spirituality and the arts" program. That is Dear Friend's biggest passion and we are fortunate to have some wonderful artists, musicians, and writers/poets in our parish who are willing to share their gifts.

Pax,
Doxy

3/26/2010 8:16 AM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

I understand that reaction, Doxy. It's a hard poem.

I'm glad to hear of your parish's program. We're just taking baby steps, I expect.

3/26/2010 8:47 PM  
Blogger susan s. said...

I think we all need a little of that kind of crazy.

3/27/2010 4:23 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

I agree, Susan. In fact, I'd like to be a little crazier like this.

3/29/2010 7:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home