Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Haiti Updates

Lauren Stanley is the Go-To Source

Like many of you, I have been following the news from Haiti over the past week. I care about the whole nation. But I especially care about the Episcopal Diocese of Haiti. As you may know, Haiti is the largest diocese in The Episcopal Church.

Want to hear all the news from the ground, as fast as it can be delivered? Then go to Lauren Stanley’s site. She’s well plugged in. Episcopal News Service is using her reports and perspectives. Mainstream news sources are quoting her. Trust Lauren to get you the news as soon as can be.

It’s probably no coincidence that, before Lauren was an Episcopal priest, she was a journalist. She still has a journalist’s tenacity about getting the news and distributing it as quickly as possible.

You should remember that Lauren is a TEC missioner to Haiti. As fate would have it, she was home in Virginia when the earthquakes struck Haiti. ... Personally, I was glad that she was safe at home, but I know she would rather have been with her brothers and sisters in Haiti.

Go there! Bookmark Lauren’s site for news.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kirkepiscatoid said...

I find myself fairly frustrated when I watch the news, mostly because I am watching the same kinds of issues play out in Haiti that we saw during Katrina, and during the tsunami--the problem of plenty of ability to bring aid, but the logistics of delivering it leave much to be desired.

I find myself furious that the word "looters" is being used so generically. If my world had been turned into a surreal, post-apocalyptic state, hell, yeah I'd be foraging for food and clean water. It's one thing if the local strongarm gang dude rounds up all the food and oppresses the people further; it's another thing when starving people are raiding what used to be stores for food and drink.

I find myself having concentration camp newsreel footage flashbacks when I see them taking backhoes with scoops full of human bodies and mass burying them with no attempt to identify the victims.

But mostly I pray for these folks. I sent a donation to ER-D early on; I dearly wish I had the kind of job I could just "pack up and go" to help. But I'm stuck there, so all I have left is to pray.

1/19/2010 10:18 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

No argument from me, Maria!

I find myself cringing that this like Katrina all over again. And I thought we would have learned from that travesty!

Like you, I cringe at the mass burials. On one hand, I understand the need to forestall disease. But ... the inhumanity of it makes me livid.

I don't have a good solution. But I do give thanks for Lauren and the others who are reporting and serving in Haiti. I thank God for them.

1/19/2010 10:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home