Wednesday, August 05, 2009

A New Organ for Trinity/CWE

Most of you regular readers know this: When business or travel takes me to St. Louis on a Sunday morning, I worship at Trinity Episcopal Church. I will be forever grateful to that parish. It brought me back into the Episcopal Church after the dismal actions of GC06. I found a community and kindred souls there. They nursed me back to health, and their rector (the Rev. Anne Kelsey) was an important part of that healing. She has remained so – a treasured friend.

I love that parish and treasure its rector. I’m there often enough that some folks kid me about being an “associate member” of that parish.

Working on a diocesan blogpost this evening, I stumbled upon this newspaper story and this video. Anne had told me about it. The videographer happened to catch her when she first heard the new organ and came into the sanctuary.

You may recall my post a few days ago when I commended our Anglican hymnody. But it’s more than that. It’s not just our hymnody; it’s also the “voices” of our pipe organs.

I appreciate the story that the St. Louis newspaper captured in this video. Enjoy. And rejoice.

I’m sure Anne is going to ding me for bringing wider attention to this video. But I cannot help it. It’s a lovely story. Watch the video.

8 Comments:

Blogger motheramelia said...

Please give Anne my best when you next see her. I really enjoyed the video and seeing what she looks like today. Anne would have been a good person to have around after GC06.

8/05/2009 10:34 PM  
Blogger Göran Koch-Swahne said...

A lovely story, indeed. Give my love to your friend!

8/06/2009 1:43 AM  
Blogger Hilary said...

The woman in the photo wearing the green-blue skirt and standing by the door (w/ her back to the camera) is my mother. :-)

8/06/2009 8:45 AM  
Blogger KJ said...

Thanks for sharing this story, Lisa!

8/06/2009 11:03 AM  
Blogger Joanna Depue said...

Lovely story, kind words for a faithful servant of God and the glory of the organ as an amazing component of worship. Barbara Crafton had a similar experience with the newly installed organ at St. James Episcopal Church in Florence, Italy.

Thank you for sharing this.

8/06/2009 4:14 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

MotherAmelia, we are indeed fortunate to have Anne in Missouri. She’s been a great friend to me.

I gather you know her from elsewhere. If you want to give me your e-mail address, post a comment on a post that’s more than a month old; the way I have the blog set up, your comment will comment will come to me for "moderation" and will not be published. Then we can exchange e-mail addresses and can talk offline.

You want to see a pastor’s heart at work? It would be Anne’s sermon on the Sunday after GC06. Ministering in a parish with many LGBT members, this lovely, straight, married woman truly showed what it means to “bear our sorrows.”

8/06/2009 7:07 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Small world, Hilary! The old saying, “On the Internet, nobody knows you’re a dog,” also translates to “On the Internet, nobody knows you have St. Louis connections.” What a hoot!

The folks at Trinity/CWE are a delightful variety and a warm, welcoming parish family. I am honored to be an “associate,” though I live 2 hours west.

8/06/2009 7:08 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Göran, I’ll pass along your kind regards. ... But I bet Anne will be a little miffed when she sees I've given such a focus on her and her ministry here.

Glad you enjoyed it, KJ. The videographer really did a heckuva job in capturing the moment, I think. The St. Louis newspaper does a pretty decent job of religion news coverage, but this one (I think) was stellar.

Yes, Joanna, I do remember Barbara’s posts about the new organ at St. James. Similar thing there.

8/06/2009 7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home