Tuesday, November 25, 2008

TEC Communications

I've written often before about the miserable decline in communications from the Episcopal Church over the last year or so. There was a marvelous opening of communication after +KJS was consecrated, and it was one of the reasons that The Episcopal Majority decided we could stand down. But at some point TEC and/or KJS decided to quit trying to communicate with the church and the world.

I thought I was the only one remarking this, until I saw this post from Dylan Breuer tonight. She asks very good questions, and she asks them better than I could. This is most damning: Julia Duin [No friend of TEC!] comments on Dylan's post:

I am one of those secular media people and all I know is that these days when you call TEC for a comment, they won't give one (which is their job, last I heard). Instead, they refer people to Jim Naughton, spokesman for the Diocese of Washington. Seems that Jim has plenty on his place w/o having to act as the spokesman for all of TEC...
It gets worse. The Episcopal Church has posted a survey on its homepage, in which it's asking for feedback about the structure of its website. Have you (like me) tried to find some information on our church website and found yourself frustrated? I do. I regularly go to TEC's site looking for information and being frustrated. This survey will only accentuate your frustration. They purport to ask for feedback, but comments are limited to 50 characters. There's one question where they ask why you seek information from the site. They offer about 17 options, 15 of which are roles like "I'm a Deputy," or bishop, or Executive Council Member, or member of one of the CCABs, etc. They offer 17 options -- 15 of which are "insider" roles, and the other two are something like "I'm just an Episcopalian." The message to me was: If you're not an insider, you're 1/17th of an Episcopalian. Who the heck crafted this survey???

I encourage all of you to take the survey. Do what you can to provide useful feedback.

11 Comments:

Blogger Kirkepiscatoid said...

done!

Yeah, why wasn't "vestry" a choice slightly above "interested Episcopalian"?????

I talked also about how the pages are not easy to navigate and how I have to use Google to find things on their site other than simple link-clicking.

11/25/2008 10:33 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Thanks for doing the survey, Kirkepiscatoid. I wonder if you found it as frustrating as I did.

I'm with you about searching. I use Google to find what I need on TEC's site; their search engine is useless.

Surely TEC can do better!

11/25/2008 11:20 PM  
Blogger Cany said...

I done did it.

11/26/2008 1:28 AM  
Blogger john iliff said...

I'll take the survey, too. As an aside, I really miss the good work done at Episcopal Majority. EM's demise/hiatus was noted with glee by those ... well ... you know the usual suspects.

Would love to see its return.

I enjoy your blog!

11/26/2008 8:10 AM  
Blogger LKT said...

So how did people answer the first question (about how you got to the survey), since "a blogger I know told me to take it" was not an option?

11/28/2008 10:05 AM  
Blogger JimB said...

Lisa,

Does question 25 rank as the single silliest thing you ever read or what? Let me see, the title is "internet survey," they are using a web based survey engine and they ask if the respondent has internet access???

FWIW
jimB

11/28/2008 10:16 PM  
Blogger Cany said...

Well, I suppose it IS possible some respond via net through a library. Perhaps they meant do you have it at home?

It is an odd question.

11/29/2008 4:30 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Thanks to you who have clicked through to the survey.

JohnI, thanks for the kind comments about The Episcopal Majority. As you may recall from our final post, we retired because the Episcopal Church seemed to be doing a fine job of communications. That's no longer the case. The communications staff at TEC seems to be mute. ... But I can't see us ramping-up TEM again. Most of us have other jobs or are retired. Now we rely on folks like Mark Harris and the Episcopal Café. And that's a pity. It's a pity that TEC can't/won't "commit news," and we must rely on others to provide us with news [not pablum!] about our own church.

11/29/2008 7:40 PM  
Blogger JimB said...

Cany,

Even if it was asking do we have home or office or public institution access, there are some real issues with the question.

First it did not ask that.

Second it is a silly question to ask as it does not make a tiny bit of difference to their alleged mission.

The survey comes under the rubric that those who cannot communicate should shut up.


FWIW
jimB`

11/29/2008 9:11 PM  
Blogger Lindy said...

FYI - The survey is now closed due to a time committment. Not sure what that means. Just FYI.

12/03/2008 7:32 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Hmmm .. Curious.

12/04/2008 12:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home