Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The Interview

I hope that after tonight I can quit writing about Sudanese Archbishop Daniel's statement and interview at Lambeth yesterday. But there are still a couple things I need to say.

Let me make this distinction.

When I read the written statement from the Sudanese bishops, I was disappointed, but not at all surprised. I'm fully aware of their theological stance and of the ECS synod statement a couple years back. I know we disagreee on the place of gay men and lesbians in the church. But, until now, TEC and Sudanese dioceses have been able to cooperate and relate deeply in mission and ministry despite that difference.

What upset me most were the comments Archbishop Daniel made when he willingly met with the press to discuss this topic.

Gene Robinson is an error? Then so am I, in the eyes of Archbishop Daniel. He has nothing to say to gay people until they repent? I hope he wasn't too permanently scarred by spending time with me and giving me the Body of Christ on that Sunday back in May. They ordain women as bishops because women are human [unlike Gene?]. Words fail me.

See it for yourself. ENS has now posted the full interview in 2 parts here. Or see Part 1 here and Part 2 here.

The man laughs and smiles as he tells us that he doesn't want to exclude gay/lesbian people from the church. He says of Bishop Robinson: "We love him. We don't want to exclude anyone, we just want them to go away."'

I can take a subtle hint like that. He wants us all to go away. I get it.

Color me gone from his little world.

Photo/Mary Frances Schjonberg © 2008 Episcopal Life Online

4 Comments:

Blogger Cany said...

I know... I wrote about it last night... God's error.... gads.

The worst part is, this fear/hatred whatever it is got in the way of his good statement on the needs of Sudan which is just a shame.

7/23/2008 10:42 PM  
Blogger Lydia Agnew Speller said...

The sentence in the press conference that most annoyed me was saying he wanted Gene Robinson to be "normal." Most of the out GLBT people I know (including my children) are as normal as wallpaper. I can't begin to imagine how hard all this is for you personally, having spent time there and worked with our companion diocese committee, despite the hundreds of words you have written about it.

7/24/2008 2:08 AM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Agreed, Cany.

Others reading these comments, do go check out what Cany wrote here and here. Very fine stuff.

7/24/2008 11:59 AM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Thanks for stopping by, Lydia.

And oh yeah, I forgot that one. It belongs on the "hit parade," too. "Normal as wallpaper" -- great line! and absolutely true.

Yeah, I have cranked out a lot of words. That's how I try to process info and feelings. I'm still not sure how I feel about my future role with the CDCtte. As I wrote to the bishop, this "feels" personal. Soon, I trust, my brain will catch up with my broken heart.

Blessings to you for your steadfast support and ministry!

7/24/2008 12:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home