Thursday, June 19, 2008

TEC Pravda

Several of our Worthy Opponents have criticized the Episcopal Church's official news organs. For several months, I defended them. But now I have had it with TEC's "news organs."

I used to rely on ENS and epiScope as sources of real, hard-hitting journalism. But no more. I don't know what has happened at 815 in the last few weeks. But I no longer count on them for any real news. I can't put my finger on it, but it seems they have quit trying to report news and are simply offering propaganda.

So I have now eliminated those two former "news sources" from my sidebar over on the right.

I wonder whether they have gotten rid of the real journalists on their staff or something. Of course, I don't know. But the decline in actual journalism is noticeable. Maybe they have taken a new direction, and maybe they no longer care to be journalists.

ENS and epiScope have become propagandists. They are no longer on my list of reliable sources of news. For a while there, they were doing real journalism. But they seem to have quit being journalists and become simply the "party organ" lately.

I am disappointed.

I'll go back to relying on the Episcopal Café, Father Jake, and Thinking Anglicans to learn what the heck is actually happening in the Episcopal Church. I no longer trust ENS and its puppets.

I thought our church could be and do better than the ACN and AAC. Apparently not.

====

While I was writing this, Andrew Plus was writing something quite similar. But his is more articulate than mine. Go there and read.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I first became aware of the move from reporting the news to managing it in mid-2005. The Windsor Report had been published the previous fall. Our Diocese (and many other dioceses as well) undertook a serious study/reflection of the WR. But there was never any mention of these efforts by ENS. When the Anglican Consultative Council met, the ENS report omitted any mention of the ACC's endorsement of the WR. When I asked a friend at 815 why this was happening, I was told that the WR had been declared a non issue. The instructions were to emphasize only the positive.

The Rev. Nathaniel Pierce

6/20/2008 7:14 AM  
Blogger John B. Chilton said...

More specifics, please, Lisa. I, too, have a sense a change. But I'm not sure it is for the worse. On what topics has ens become more Pravda like?

6/20/2008 9:25 AM  
Blogger Malcolm+ said...

Like so many things, this seems to reflect people making communications decisions without really understanding communications.

You don't make issues go away by ignoring them. In mass communications, it is generally more effective to be out front and transparent.

The old PR adage applies - tell it fully, tell it frankly, tell it first.

6/20/2008 10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home