Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Arranged Marriage

I expect several of you have experienced this. Just when you give up on having a relationship, suddenly your friends step in, and there's a new "next friend" in your life.

That's how it happened to me.

Early this month, I was visiting with some friends. They told me about this dear one who was very loving and gentle, but had been abused. She was living in a chaotic household where she was hounded and not nurtured. Rescuer that I am, I agreed to take her into my home. I wasn't sure whether it would work out, but I thought I could at least give her a safe space in which to heal and recover for a while.

It's been about three weeks now.

My absolute non-negotiable was that she had to get along with Scotty and be kind to him. My old Scotty deserves not to have new stress in his life! That seems to be working ok. In fact, that's been the best thing. She doesn't have a job, so she's able to stay home and play with him. She seems to pay a lot of attention to him, so that he's exhibiting kittenish behaviors that amaze me for a guy of his age. So much so that I've decided to let her stay here.

Now, I find myself growing strangely fond of her.

Her name is Mocha. [Yeah, I know: a "trendy" name ... but I didn't give it to her.] She's black, and very shy. She's been in a pretty abusive relationship, and I'm kinda a sucker for playing "Lisa the Rescuer." She's a little young for me -- claims to be about 8 months old. And she's vertically challenged -- only about 9" tall. She likes Scotty a lot more than me so far, but I think she's good for him. (They're sharing a windowsill at the moment.) Maybe she'll eventually grow fond of me, too.

Here's a photo of them together this evening, lying on the sofa with me.

13 Comments:

Blogger Malcolm+ said...

Our Samoyed, Bear, went the way of all flesh about a year ago.

When Bear's non-Samoyed step-sister was in for her physical, the vet started the sales pitch for a timid Golden Retriever with a thyroid problem.

We went to the vet's house, where Jenny was being fostered. My dear one kept up the pretense that we were going to go away and think about it - until I said we should just admit it's a done deal.

My dear one was always one for taking in orphans.

5/29/2008 12:28 AM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Oh, most psychic Malcolm+ one. My story was similar. I went to retrieve Scotty from the vet clinic, and they introduced me to Mocha, who needed a new home. But I was not ready, having lost Shug just 3 months earlier. ... But something tugged at my heart and mind, and I went back the next week to bring Mocha into my home "just to see if it works out."

Dang! These little ones have a way of wheedling themselves into our hearts!

I'm glad your dear one spoke to you. May Jenny, and Mocha, and all the lost creatures find good homes!

5/29/2008 12:52 AM  
Blogger Fran said...

That makes me tear up... Oh Lisa, I am so touched by this.

I am glad that Scotty took to Mocha and that you have given them your heart and your home.

Our animals always find us- I believe that. Whenever my pastor says that God always initiates relationship with us and not the other way around, I am reminded of every animal that ever came into my life and into my heart.

Very beautiful indeed.

5/29/2008 10:06 AM  
Blogger Malcolm+ said...

Well, Winnie's nose was out of joint for a few days. But once she realized she was still the Alpha Dog, she was fine with it.

5/29/2008 10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so happy that you have a new love in you life. And she's beautiful! A good rescue.

5/30/2008 7:38 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

I totally agree, FranIAm. I think they find us. After Shug's death, folks encouraged me to seek out another companion, and I resisted. I think the animals who need us will find us.

Mocha's a bit different, as I'm not sure she's adopted me so much as she's adopted my 17-year-old Scotty. But I trust it will work out.

5/30/2008 8:29 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Thanks for the encouragment, y'all. I held off on writing about this, until I felt some confidence that she would feel comfortable here and that Scotty would accept her. I hope it shall be well.

5/30/2008 8:31 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

Good to find you blogging again - had to sit down and read all you posts. Great work.

5/30/2008 8:41 PM  
Blogger June Butler said...

Lisa, Scotty and Mocha seem to like each other a lot. I think it's working out. Maybe she'll come around to being affectionate with you. The two probably appreciate one another's company, especially while you're at work.

Rescue of one kind or another is how we get all our pets.

5/31/2008 8:43 AM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Yeah, Ann. It's weird. I thought my blogging days were through. But I seem to have found my voice again.

6/01/2008 12:27 AM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

I hope so, Mimi. But Scotty is 17 years old, and Mocha is still a very young cat.

On the other hand, Mocha yearns for kitty companionship. She very, very often seeks to cuddle up against Scotty. Sometimes he likes it, sometimes he seems disinterested, and sometimes he hates it. I do hope they will work it out.

6/01/2008 12:30 AM  
Blogger June Butler said...

Maybe counseling would help Scotty and Mocha get along. ;o) Scotty is an old guy. I hope they work it out.

6/01/2008 8:26 AM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Thanks, dear Mimi. And so do I. This little girl yearns to have a snuggle-buddy. ... I'm just not sure Scotty can handle that much worship and adoration.

Ain't it ironic?

6/01/2008 6:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home