Saturday, April 19, 2008

A Sign

Last Sunday after church, I needed to run a couple of errands. As I passed one of the big Protestant churches in town, I was struck by the words on their marquis. This is what they posted:

What if you face God today?
Are you ready?

You may have guessed already that it was a Southern Baptist church. That was the denomination in which I grew up, and which I left in my 20s.

Passing under that sign, just moments after leaving my Episcopal parish in which I had partaken of the Eucharist, I was struck by the difference and how far I have moved.

I had indeed "faced God" that morning. I had partaken of the body and blood of our Savior. I had been united with God in the Eucharist. And I had seen Christ in the faces of all the people around me.

It struck me: How sad it must be for those people who think they won't see God until their death, or the "Second Coming." or some such bye-and-bye time. I get to see the face of God every day, almost every hour . . . if only I am open to it.

The face of God – the face of Christ – is present with us all the time, in the faces of all the people around us. How sad it must be to think you need to wait 'til your death to meet God.

2 Comments:

Blogger Josephine- said...

Amen.

4/19/2008 9:50 PM  
Blogger Fran said...

Thank you and Amen.

4/20/2008 10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home