Sunday, December 09, 2007

Bishop Robinson

In His Own Words

A bunch of wacko right-wingers in the Episcopal Church (and elsewhere) blogged one 15-second soundbyte from Bishop Robinson's lecture at Nova University (in Fort Lauderdale) last week. But if you really want to see and hear Bishop Robinson in his own words and in context, hop on to C-Span.

C-Span broadcast his 80-minute session on their American Perspectives program on December 8. His lecture begins at the 1:02:05 mark.

Click over there. Bishop Robinson does an amazing job of talking about the Scriptures, how the Holy Spirit has guided Christians in the past two millennia, the civil rights of GLBTs, and the need for progressive Christians to "take back the Bible" from the neo-cons on the extreme right.

When I caught it last night, I was moved by his seriousness and sincerity. At the end of the lecture, he declaims to an interlocutor: "The Bible saved my life!" If you want an orthodox, progressive defense of our faith and our cause, check it out.

I can't begin to do justice to his presentation. Just go there and watch, provided you have a high-speed Internet connection.

Addenda (01.14.08): It appears the URL may have changed. Go to the American Perspectives series, and scroll down to the December 8, 2007, program.

As an added bonus, we got permission to post the chapter from Bishop Robinson's forthcoming book at The Episcopal Majority site. Much of his NOVA talk appears in the chapter. Click here to see part 1 of that chapter, then follow the links.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I caught this C-Span presentation purely by accident: I was in a motel room off the interstate, and channel surfing [which I never do at home].

I too was incredibly impressed by Bishop Robinson and his uncomplicated and heartfelt testimony to the Christian life. I especially enjoyed the way he handled the "man in black" who challenged his reading of scripture!

I'm glad that Bishop Robinson is on our side, the progressive side. The Church cannot remain static on such important issues of human rights.

12/10/2007 10:21 AM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Agreed on all points. I'd love to find a copy of his written remarks.

12/10/2007 5:44 PM  
Blogger Malcolm+ said...

I couldn't open the piece using either Firefox or Internet Explorer.

Let us know when a transcript appears.

12/11/2007 12:07 AM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

I think I know what the problem is Malcolm+. When you click the link, it opens a video player, like RealPlayer (in my case) or Windows Media Player.

I'll see what I can do about a transcript.

12/11/2007 8:20 AM  
Blogger Tristan said...

I was very fortunate to see an early morning C-Span rebroadcast of the Honorable Bishop's speech.

As a Baptized Anglican, and one whose own homosexuality made my decision not to enter the priesthood, I found the Bishop's speech a "well of fresh water" in the barren wasteland.

Our Episcopal Church here in this small Ohio town is splintered, and since I am a known LGBT leader in the Community, I am not welcomed.

Praise God for men of Bishop Robinson's quality, character and leardership.

12/11/2007 8:58 AM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Tristan, that's deeply painful to hear. I am so sorry that you've been made anathema. I really cannot quite imagine what that must be like. But I pray for you, and I pray that we will soon take back the Episcopal Church from the neo-crats who have tried to wrest it away. I agree: Bishop Robinson's words were a balm. Peace be with you.

12/11/2007 9:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home