Monday, October 08, 2007

When Harry Met Katharine

A marvelous thing is happening over at Father Jake's place. Harry, a much-beloved member of Jake's virtual parish, had an opportunity (with his partner and 4 other people) to have dinner with Presiding Bishop Jefferts Schori and her husband. You absolutely must read Harry's story.

Like many of us, it seems that Harry has been frustrated by the scapegoating of gay men and lesbians in our church since 2003, and wounded afresh by the House of Bishops' statement from New Orleans. Here he writes of an exchange with KJS near the end of dinner:

Toward the end of my conversation with her I said, “Katharine, I’m a mature Christian. I’ve been about this for awhile, and I don’t need anything from the House of Bishops, the Primates, or my Rector—who does, by the way, turn out to be the Love of My Life. I’d like, at this point, for you to give me a charge, during this time of ‘fasting,’ to take away from this table. I want something to call my gay and lesbian brothers and sisters to do with me that has absolutely nothing to do with the Windsor Report.”

She looked at me quizzically for moment and then said, “Build a school in Central Tanganyika.”

Father Jake concluded with:

Thanks, Harry.So, it sounds like we're building a school in Central Tanganyika? Ok, then. Let's get to it.
Then go here to follow the developments.

And we are off to the races. The PB gave Harry some leads, and the folks at Father Jake's are signing on. I'll support this any way I can, and I encourage you to do the same.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jan said...

Thanks for reporting about this. I'll keep coming back to see what happens.

10/08/2007 8:23 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

More comments on Building a Scholl.

10/08/2007 11:28 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

That's School -- maybe I need one.

10/08/2007 11:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Katharine successfully changed the subject. I don't see that anything else happened.
Linda Diane McMillan

10/09/2007 10:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home