Saturday, August 25, 2007

Quiet



Over in the comments, Lindy asked why I've been so quiet here. As I replied, I've been spending most of my blogging energies over at The Episcopal Majority. But there's more, of course.

A great deal has been happening in our church and communion. But other bloggers are doing a marvelous job of commenting on that news. I figure you all read those blogs listed over at the right. Folks like Father Jake and Mark Harris consistently do a great job of covering and analyzing the news. I think The Episcopal Majority is making some worthwhile contributions, too.

And on the clever side, what's left to say after MadPriest or Of Course I Could Be On Vacation have covered the news?

I began this blog a little more than a year ago, just after the 2006 General Convention, mostly reflecting on how I responded to the issues in the wider church. I've pretty much said my piece on that, it seems.

All this has left me wondering: What's the purpose of my own little blog here? I'm just not sure anymore.

I will tell you this, though. I'm increasingly sick and tired of hearing those on "the other side" make claims that the sexuality of gay men and lesbians is nothing more than the giving-in to "irresistible urges." That our relationships are craven. They consistently deny the possibility that there is anything holy in our relationships. I think it's time that I gave my own testimony about how Christ and the Church have transformed my sexual behavior and attitudes, without at all changing my sexual orientation. I am working on writing that story, but it's slow going. It's pretty intense to look honestly at the course of one's life and put in onto paper honestly. Partly I'm writing about my journey; but, of course, this kind of writing involves reflecting anew upon it. And there is the question of just how honest and explicit I can be in a piece of writing that will be released into the great blogosphere.

So, I think I have one more blog essay in me. I just don't know where this blog will go after that.

And that's the truth.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jeffri Harre said...

Lisa,
We all go through periods of "quiet." I urge you to continue writing. The title of your blog may have been sparked by statements made at General Convention 2006, but your "manner of life" is so much more than your sexuality. You have much to write about, much to share, much to teach.
Hugs,
Jeffri

8/26/2007 1:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't have a purpose for my own blog. And, I don't pretend to have anything of much importance to say. But two or three people like stopping by to see me anyway. And they like stopping by to see you too. You don't have to give the news, or be brilliant, or even right. It could be that people like coming by because of who you are more than what you say. Lindy

8/26/2007 2:35 AM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Thanks, y'all. Very much.

It's ironic that, on a day that started with my thinking I just didn't have anything to say, I finally had a couple of ideas. Don't know when I last had a 3-post day.

8/26/2007 6:40 AM  
Blogger June Butler said...

Lisa, I hope you will write your essay, simply because I would like to read it.

Speaking of purposes for blogs, I can't even describe mine enough to join "Episcopal Bloggers", which is probably all to the good, because, at heart, I am not a joiner.

Since mine is a blog with a small readership, I think it's OK to do what I want, to write when I want to write, and not write when I have nothing much to say.

I think it's OK for you, too, Lisa, but you must do as you think best. However, I do hope you get to that essay for selfish reasons.

8/26/2007 8:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home