Wednesday, August 01, 2007

ACN & The Flintstones

I didn't bother to follow the sturm und drang of the Anglican Communion Network's yabba-dabba-do meeting this week in Texas. For quite a while, I have believed they were becoming yet another pseudo-Anglican splinter group. In earlier days, their meeting might have made me anxious. But ever since Presiding Bishop Jefferts Schori came aboard, I have been comforted that I need not fear these little weenies and their little over-hyped meetings. (The IRD's money might be able to buy them air time in some venues, but certainly not with me!) I couldn't even be bothered to watch their press conferences. I remember that old line about "sound and fury, signifying nothing." And they have revealed themselves to be so.

It would be hard to take this gaggle of old white guys seriously, once you have seen their official photograph.

A blogger friend of mine confessed to a "slip of the keyboard." She meant to write about their meeting in Bedford, but her hand slipped and she typed "Bedrock" instead of "Bedford."

That sent my mind off in silly directions. It reminded me of the Flintstones theme song. Look at the photo above. Can't you just imagine that silly gaggle of bishops singing along with these lyrics?

Network! Meet the Network!
They're the modern stone age church for you.
From the town of Bedford,
It's a page right out of Weekly World News.

Let's go see them consecrate the zoo.
Who knows? Maybe we'll be bishops too!

When you're with the Network
you'll have a yabba dabba doo time.
A dabba doo time.
You'll have an (ex-gay) time.

11 Comments:

Blogger Ormonde Plater said...

Those old white guys can't even decide on the color of their shirts.

8/02/2007 8:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your verses are inspired! Great job, Lisa!

8/02/2007 2:33 PM  
Blogger June Butler said...

Lisa, the song is a thing of beauty.

ACNers remind me of the gaggle of white guys who make up the rogues gallery of our Republican presidential candidates.

8/02/2007 8:30 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

you are on a roll.

8/02/2007 9:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK. You are now my new favorite blogger.
Linda McMillan
Austin

8/02/2007 11:10 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Your astute comments on the diversity of the ACN cabal leads me to offer this further observation. I wish I had been clever enough to pen it, but it was not I. It is someone known to most of you as an occasional and thoughtful commenter at MadPriest's ... but since this Worthy has chosen not to make the comment in public, neither shall I offer attribution. But it's brilliant. This wise Episcopalian, having seen the photos of the recent ACN meeting, observed: "'Running the spectrum from fuschia to mauve' -- here's to diversity."

8/02/2007 11:28 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Thanks for your kind comments.

8/02/2007 11:28 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

That's very kind and generous, Linda. But I am aware that I am not worthy even to pick up the crumbs from under the table of bloggers like MadPriest, Father Jake, and Mark Harris. Oh, but I wish I had their insight and talents ....

8/02/2007 11:32 PM  
Blogger June Butler said...

Lisa, I believe you have given away (to me, anyway) the name of the author of the genius lyrics.

8/03/2007 11:40 AM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Then, Mimi, I fear I have added confusion to obfuscation. The "secret author" was writer of the "Running the spectrum from fuschia to mauve" comment. That was the "it" to which I was referring when I said I had not penned "it."

8/03/2007 11:51 AM  
Blogger June Butler said...

Lisa, I think I have it right - or, perhaps, not. Anyway, I won't reveal a name, so if I'm confused, I won't spread my confusion further.

8/03/2007 4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home