Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Sunday

Sorry I had to leave without covering the rest of the Canadian General Synod. I intended to drive to St. Louis Sunday for "Mass on the Grass" in Tower Grove Park and my first-ever "Gay Pride" parade. [Hat-tip to Cecelia, who's already expressed my thoughts about the "pride" phrase.]

But things took a different turn Sunday. When I woke bright and early, I realized that my big orange guy was not at all well. I called my vet at home, and she met me at the clinic. It's the same diagnosis as back in the fall (diabetic ketoacidosis), and she has begun the same treatment routine. So far, he's holding his own. [You can find background in my October postings, or just search "Scotty" in this blog.]

Unfortunately, I had to "hit the road" Monday morning for a business trip that couldn't be rescheduled. But I'll see him again Wednesday.

Meanwhile, a local news station carried this coverage of the Pride event in St. Louis, focusing on the Episcopal Diocese's participation. I'm glad they focused on the church's participation. But it did tick me off when they identified Jeff as "Activist" when "Episcopalian" or "gay Episcopalian" would have been the accurate identification. Would the active conservatives be labeled "activists"? I think not. But consider the source: the segment ran on the Fox affiliate. Friends who were there tell me we had over 240 Episcopalians marching in the parade -- by far the biggest turnout ever. A lot of us -- gay and straight -- felt it was especially important to get the word out that there is a church where gay folks are welcome and happy; I'm grateful for those who marched when I could not.

Enough for now. I have organizations with which to consult and miles to go before returning home tonight.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm guessing it's just that they knew how to spell "activist" in the control room...but "Episcopalian" was beyond them.

6/26/2007 11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mass in the Grass has been around for several years. Usually I try to stop by - this year I was reader at my own church, so got there after mass. Pride on Sunday was a soggy, if cheerful, mess. See ya next year in Tower Grove Park.

Sorry about your cat.

NancyP

6/26/2007 7:57 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

I'm just now home after a very, very long day on the road. Finished the day's last consultation at 4:45 p.m., and still had a 4-hour drive to get home. In these two days, I've driven something like 470 miles and never had to see an interstate -- mostly state and county roads. That's my idea of a fun trip. Yes, really!

Anonymous, LOL about them knowing how to spell. You're right: I probably would have been even more miffed had they tagged him something like "Episcopal spokesperson."

Hey, NancyP, thanks for dropping in. Yes, I think this was the 5th or 6th year for Mass on the Grass. Maybe we'll meet in what they call "Real Life" {grin} one o' these days.

6/26/2007 9:14 PM  
Blogger Caminante said...

Prayers for Scottie. Hope he is doing alright.

7/01/2007 4:10 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Thanks, you all. I've posted an update here. Scotty's home now.

7/01/2007 7:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home