Saturday, June 23, 2007

Canadian Anglicans cont'd

They're now debating Resolution 186 (Blessing of Same Sex Unions - Core Doctrine of ACC), which has been amended (via a friendly amended) to read: "That this General Synod resolves that the blessing of same-sex unions is not in conflict with the core doctrine of The Anglican Church of Canada."

A conservative moved to refer the question to the bishops' Pastoral Theological Commission, but that motion failed. It passed in the house of Bishops (18 no, and 21 yes) , but failed (150 no, and 95 yes) among the clergy and laity.

Debate now is continuing on the main resolution.

I'll continue writing here.

8:50 pm update: I'm not sure about all the parliamentary procedures, but it seems they have ended debate because that's what the agenda called for.

No vote was taken on Resolution 186.

I kept watching, though, even after the session ended.

We Anglicans have a rich musical heritage. We have much to celebrate in that heritage. But the Canadians ended the night with a couple of guys playing guitar. (It wouldn't surprise me to learn that our GC has done the same thing, but they didn't have Webcasts.) It was very nice guitar, mind you. But still . . .

Sheesh! Spare us all, O God, from the musical indulgences of relevant and revisionist liturgical planners.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Please accept my apologies to those of you who may have read the comments in the past hour. An anonymous poster -- Why are they always anonymous?! -- posted a diatribe in the comments here that went on for 27 -- yes! count 'em, twenty-seven -- screens. I think it was an "ex-gay" screed. I only read a couple of paragraphs before I hit the "delete" key.

I would advise the latest "Anonymous" commenter: If you have 27 screens-worth of something to say, get your own blog. This one is mine.

I'm not going to revert to turning comment moderation "on." At least not yet. But perhaps I shall do so when I'm going to be offline for very long.

I apologize to those few who may have seen the voluminous "comment" from the long-winded anonymous poster. It's now been deep-sixed.

6/25/2007 6:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home