Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Flood?


Yep! My town and this whole part of Missouri is battening-down the hatches for floods. I just did a Google news-search and am amazed how often my little town is mentioned nationally. We are indeed here on the banks of the mighty (and, now, raging) Missouri River. My office is literally a softball's throw from the river ... and the river is growing closer every hour as I step out there and look.

For those of you worried about me personally, let me assure you: This is a hilly town, and my home is very high up. I am not going to have to think about moving the cats or my belongings. The same is not true of some of my friends and co-workers. Many of them are already evacuating.

I'll try to get a digi-cam tomorrow and post some photos. It's an amazing thing to see.

And I'll confess I'm of two minds about this. Yes, I am sorry that people are having to move out of low-lying areas. But the Missouri River was here centuries before we were. It used to run slow and wide. Then the Corps of Engineers "channelized" it. If we had let the river run in its natural channel, this would not be happening.

2 Comments:

Blogger sharecropper said...

During the flood in your picture, all the rivers that fed into the Mississippi were flooded. My Mom said she could look between the boards of the floor of their farmhouse and see the water creeping up. Fortunately, it never reached the floor and the brick support posts held. But, Dad talks about using his fishing boat across the cotton fields.

Wishing safety for everyone.

5/09/2007 11:07 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

ShareCropper, it sounds like you and I have similar forbears. My people, too, were living along the Mississippi in the '20s. -- Remember, though I'm living in the Midwest now, I'm a southerner by birth and rearing.

Right now, what you described is happening all along the Missouri: All the streams and rivers that flow into it are flooded, and are thus spreading the floodwaters.

Thanks for dropping in, ShareCropper.

5/09/2007 11:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home