Saturday, April 28, 2007

The 8th Weird Thing

Some of you will recall that I got tagged by the 6 Weird Things meme recently, and I had a really difficult time whittling my list down to merely six. I added a 7th here. And as I go through my days, I find myself recalling that meme from time to time.

Saturday for me is usually my hunting-and-gathering day – the day on which I run errands and do shopping. Today was one of those. As I lugged my "kills" into my home this afternoon and began putting things away, my hand was frozen as I placed two items side by side in the produce bin of my refrigerator. They were these two delightful signs of spring.




Yes, I'm a fool for asparagus, and I give thanks we're in that time of year when the price becomes reasonable for a while. I can easily eat a pound all by myself – steamed or grilled over charcoal, thankyouverymuch, then drizzled with butter and lemon and a pinch of kosher salt.

And … the weather here has finally moved from winter, so it's fishing time again. Today, the night crawlers went into the fridge. Now I need to move my rod, reel, tackle, and sundry appurtenances into the trunk of my car so that – when the mood strikes and the weather is right – I can high-tail it off to some river, stream, or lake in the blink of an eye.

Spring, it appears, has indeed sprung in central Missouri.

And I'm still documenting my "weird things."

5 Comments:

Blogger sharecropper said...

Lisa, reminds me of chitlins and greens!

4/29/2007 3:27 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

LOL! I'll confess this is a shortcoming in my credentials as a Southerner: I just cannot bring myself even to smell chitlins ... much less eat 'em. Actually ... come to think of it ... I might sooner eat worms.

Thanks, ShareCropper!

4/29/2007 3:38 PM  
Blogger Caminante said...

The asparagus will be up in my garden toward the end of May... I won't be around to enjoy it but it will come up nonetheless... for free. Can't say I am turned on by the night crawlers.

4/30/2007 9:48 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

LOL, Caminante. That was quite a mild rejoinder.

It was the juxtaposition that struck me. Because it was so completely outrageous: beautiful asparague and "icky" worms. I had picked up two things that are "signs of spring" for me: I love asparagus, and springtime turns my thoughts to fishing in the nearby rivers and lakes.

I'm not turned on by the nightcrawlers either. But I sure am turned on by the promise of quiet leisurely times they represent for me.

4/30/2007 11:24 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

We have large old asparagus patch - started eating the spears last week - should go on for a month - nothing like "fresh" asparagus.

5/01/2007 1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home