Friday, March 02, 2007

A Dream Deferred

Ever since the dastardly communiqué was issued by the primates from Tanzania, I've been slavishly reading news sites and the blogs of Episcopalians and Anglicans. I can recognize there is some logic in what our Presiding Bishop is counseling: that we "pause," that we "fast for a season." I also get very, very angry about that request sometimes. And sometimes I am very, very far beyond sad that she would ask this of us.

In all of this, I recently recalled this most marvelous poem.

Dream Deferred (Langston Hughes)

What happens to a dream deferred?
Does it dry up
Like a raisin in the sun?
Or fester like a sore--
And then run?
Does it stink like rotten meat?
Or crust and sugar over--
like a syrupy sweet?
Maybe it just sags
like a heavy load.
Or does it explode?


I hear echoes of that question in the writings of gay men and lesbians in our church, and in my own conflicted reaction. We have many options as we hear this dream of welcome may be deferred. And especially in hearing the request for deferral come from Bishop Katharine--someone we thought we could trust.

I'm still trying to figure out my own response.

2 Comments:

Blogger january736 said...

Let's face it: it would be a mighty relief to Katharine and others, (many of whom are caring, good, sincere people. In fact, I like Katharine, just don't trust her much)if we gay and lesbian people just quietly left. Then they could debate the points in a safe sterile fashion, theorizing about concepts and theology rather than agonizing over the deep pain of flesh and blood friends, family, neighbors, communicants.They could be in Communion (sadly, not with us, but that's never been the point) and nurse and hold dear the faintly sad feeling ("an ache") somewhere in the middle of their chest for a loss vaguely remembered.Why do I stay? Why do I stay somewhere I am not really wanted, certainly not valued? Can anyone shed some light? Is this just a co-dependency thing? Blessings to all my lgbt sisters and brothers today.

3/03/2007 12:16 PM  
Blogger Grace said...

January, do you stay because of your committment to Jesus Christ, and the call of God in your life? I certainly can't think of one other real reason why any gay or lesbian person would stay in the Christian church.

But, the work of the cross, and what that means in our lives is everything.

I also think you are very much needed, and that sometimes God does not call any of us to easy situations.

Jesus was murdered on a cross, and the prophets were stoned.

I'm hoping for TEC that this fast will be a mutual thing, and that the burden will be jointly borne. I really do think that the AC very much needs the continued presence and witness of your church. I know that I would be deeply grieved if all gay and lesbian people left the worldwide church. (I'm not Episcopalian.)

3/04/2007 11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home