Friday, November 10, 2006

Thanks Giving

I'm pretty sure that I've heard more than one sermon preached about the many stories of Jesus healing people, and how none of them seemed to stop and say "thank you" – as far as the Gospels tell us. I've always wondered: How could they do that? How could they not stop and express gratitude?

Well, tonight I'm feeling a bit like those ingrates.

Several of you have followed the wacky story of my sudden-onset paralysis of my right hand. The last post I provided was back on Oct. 19, after I saw the docs at Wash.U. I talked about how – the next day – my nerves/muscles seemed to be jumping on their own accord. And I told you the doc had outfitted my right hand with a splint to give me some more control on my fingers.

Shortly thereafter, things began to improve dramatically. To me, it seemed like the jolts of electricity they injected during the EMG seemed to "jumpstart" my nerves and muscles again. Things began working better. Last weekend, I flung the splint aside in disgust, because it was interfering with my mobility more than it was contributing to my motor control. That was a very good thing!

Now I can report awesome improvement! I didn't realize how much things had improved 'til someone else pointed it out to me. I can keyboard about as fast as before. My hand and fingers are operating pretty much like before. I have a little weakness in my wrist, but nothing I can complain about. I can at least hold a coffee-cup again. And I can use my right hand to brush my teeth again. That works for me!

I've focused here on the medical side of things. But those are not the things that have felt most important.

More important have been the many notes I've received from you all – that you are praying for me individually or in your parishes. Those notes meant the world to me. It was overwhelming to know that people literally all over the Episcopal Church were praying for me. I was and am profoundly grateful.

And very important was that my own parish gave me a prayer shawl. Our parish started a prayer-shawl ministry over a year ago. I had observed and applauded that ministry. But it was amazing the day they gave one to me, and when I enfolded myself in it during the days and nights when I felt so darn scared and frustrated. There really was something comforting and healing as I enfolded myself in those lovely purple threads.

Last week, I asked our parish to take me off the prayer-list. I am essentially recovered. I felt enfolded in your prayers, and I do believe they worked a miracle of healing in me. I will never be able to tell you how grateful I have been for your many prayers.

And so I come back to you, the body of Christ, to say a very profound and heart-felt "thank you."

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am really pleased that you're fit for the front line again.

To be able to accept prayer graciously is a greater spiritual gift than being able to pray. You have received healing. Those who you have enabled to pray for you will have received something far greater.

I love the way our faith is always a two way conversation.

11/10/2006 4:45 AM  
Blogger Suzer said...

That's wonderful news, Lisa! I'm so glad that your hand is healing, and that you felt the power of prayer as a part of that healing.

11/10/2006 7:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hip, hip, hooray! You have been made whole again.

11/10/2006 8:22 AM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Many, many thanks, y'all.

But, MadPriest, what's gotten into you? You sound like a dear ol' softie! Thanks! ... And those are very, very wise words. It was indeed touching and humbling.

11/10/2006 9:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lisa, I do not know you at all. Tonight is the first time I have ever read any of your blog postings. I found you by googling my own name - can't sleep - anyway, there I was on a conservative blog site I had no idea about and there you were defending me....sort of.

Defending Christ Jesus, the bible, the orthodoxy of The Episcopal Church, the movement of the Holy Spirit, the Truth, on and on. I was deeply touched and stunned by your articulation of the issues and the faithfulness of your postings.

And now I found your own blog site only to read you are recovering....blessings on you and on your ministry of words and faith. And thank you from all of us who labor in the fields only to get quoted out of context, battered and defiled, labeled apostate and worse.....Who is "Uncle Dino" anyway?? How does this man know me??? Ok, I ramble.
Blessings and peace,
Vinnie Lainson+
Diocese of VA
(I am a total novice at this, so I had to post as anonymous even though I am not....hmmmm)

11/10/2006 11:36 PM  
Blogger David said...

I'm with Ann - Woo Hoo!

11/16/2006 1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home