Thursday, October 05, 2006

Wednesday night

I'm sorry I haven't posted an update since Sunday. But – as the hackneyed saying goes – "it's tired, and I'm late" – so this will be rather brief.

My medical situation is unchanged since Sunday. Left side much, much better. Right hand still pretty much useless. I am tired of being a gimp. It’s increasingly frustrating. Oh well. That and 4 bucks will get me a Starbucks grande double latte with whip. So who cares?

I said I would call my doc Monday. But events overtook my plans. I haven't made any effort to call my doc. That's not my priority right now.

My priority now is the 15-year-old studmuffin in my life: my cat Scotty. Sunday I thought maybe he was not up to par. Monday before work I got truly concerned: He couldn't seem to jump up to his favorite spots. I wanted to take him to the vet that moment, but some strictures at work prevented me from doing so. So I came home at noon Monday to take him to the vet. Almost as soon as I got in the house, I became panicked: Scotty was in the bathroom, and was dragging himself to me with his forearms, hindquarters useless, and wet with his own urine. I grabbed him up in my one good hand, raced back to the car and to the marvelous vet. It has been a hard week. He was at death's door, but is now stable. Turns out, he was going into a diabetic near-coma. I'm visiting him twice a day, and the vet staff is marvelous. He should be able to come home in a couple of days.

Frankly, in the midst of all that, I just flat didn't care about my one stupid paralyzed hand. I'll deal with it later.

Some very good things happening, too.

In my parish, I'm the "go-to crucifer" for burial services. I have some pretty intense feelings about funerals, which well suit me to that role. Strangely, we haven't had a death in my parish in ca. 18 months. But now a parishioner's family member has died, and I got the call to be crucifer for the Thursday funeral. I will do it, though I have yet to figure how I will 'lift high the cross' in my one-handed state. But I will do it, one way or the other. This saint of God deserves it.

Today I had a very long day of travel and teaching. I found I can do long-distance driving. Training session went great too – but I hadn't doubted that! My concern was whether I could drive the 280-mile trip with just one hand working reliably. I could and did. Thanks be to God!

Enough for now –
Lisa

One-Handed Gimp to the Order of St. Verbosa
and One-Handed Gimp to The Episcopal Majority

3 Comments:

Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Thanks, A. He is a love-bunny, and that's my favorite photo of him.

I'm tempted by the hook idea -- especially if it might get me a walk-on role in Saint Pat's series. And it's much more interesting than the only use I'd identified for that hand: it makes a really fine paperweight.

Scotty suffered a significant setback today. I'll do a new entry about it this evening.

10/05/2006 6:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Prayers of strength and courage to you, Lisa. All shall be well.

A friend.

10/05/2006 8:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lisa,

I love St. Francis Day. The act of taking time to celebrate the Christ in our pets and all animals touches a very core belief of mine, That she who defies all understanding resides in all life, and so all life is divine and sacred. My life has been guarded, lead, humbled by example and ministered to by the animals in my life. If I am able to learn just a few of their lessons... "Greet the ones you love with all your soul and body, pine for them when you are apart", "Love with abandon, with complete vulnerability and leave the consequences up to God", "Be so enthused about simplicity that you dance around thinking about a walk in the park" and "If you want to know who a person REALLY is, check out their butt... It doesn't lie about where the've been"
"For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us, and on the whole world." *Chaplet of the Divine Mercy* from a vision to Sister Faustina for those we petition healing for.
Looking forward to enhancing our affects via the fermented liquid extractions of plants on the 20th. *Episcopal to English translation*
Next round is mine girls.
Your brother in Christ,
Robby in St. Louis

10/08/2006 12:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home