Thursday, October 05, 2006

Roller-Coaster

Scotty had a very bad "setback" [as the vet terms it] today. When I called in the a.m., she said I might bring him home this evening. But when I went to visit at lunchtime, he was pretty lethargic again, and the vet gave me all the bad news. His phosphate levels had "tanked," his red blood cells were down to 1/2 what they should be, and -- this sounds horrifying to me – his red blood cells are literally exploding inside him. So he's back to critical condition again, and she says he'll stay in the clinic through this weekend. That's easy to believe, given how he looked and acted today – on top of his medical readings.

I am treasuring my twice-a-day visits with him. I hold him, love on him, talk to him, and sing hymns to him. It's hard, not knowing whether he's coming back to this life or moving on to the life beyond. But songs like 'It Is Well' speak to me now.

The last time I had to bury a cat, my only liturgical resource was the '79 prayerbook. Now I've begun asking priest friends to point me toward liturgies specifically designed for the death of a loved animal. Here are some that have been recommended to me so far:

http://www.kingofpeace.org/resources/petfuneralliturgy.htm
http://episcoveg.weblogger.com/stories/storyReader$660?print-friendly=true
http://www.nhepiscopal.org/artman/publish/printer_279.shtml

I've printed them out. I wish I felt so confident that I filed them. But I didn't.

6 Comments:

Blogger Saint Pat said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your beloved Scotty. You have a lot for a one-handed gimp to deal with right now. Savor your visits with Scotty, and try to rest as much as you can.

Hugs and blessings.

10/05/2006 11:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andrew Linzey's "Animal Rites" is an excellent resource - I use it loads.

It's dirt cheap at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Animal-Rites-Liturgies-Care/dp/0829814515

10/06/2006 4:40 AM  
Blogger Suzer said...

Sorry to hear Scotty is so sick -- poor little guy. Sending prayers of healing and wellness for both of you.

Susan

10/06/2006 6:47 AM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Thanks -- true and deep thanks -- for your most kind comments and your prayers.

MadPriest, thanks for the lead! I've just ordered two copies: 1 for me, and one for my priest.

10/06/2006 7:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Watching a beloved friend fail is so heartbreaking. Especially if your not 100%. My heart is with you. We had our Mario for 13 years and Miss Kitty-cat for 20 and they both went home to heaven within the same week. we just knew that their spirits wanted to stay together. (We had the feeling that Miss Kitty still wanted Mario to know who was the boss!) Our vet made a plaster paw print to give to us when they passed and we made them into Christmas ornaments that hang on our tree every year, so they are not gone, just waiting for us in the mansion that is being prepared.

10/07/2006 9:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Lisa. I found this page because of the links you had to my Episcoveg site.

This is so far after the fact, but I wanted to add my condolences. I also wanted to mention that the bishops rejected a resolution at GC2006 to include prayers for the death of a companion animal in the "Book of Occasional Services".

But one diocese unanimously passed a resolution to bring it up again in 2009. We are looking for people in other parts of the country to do the same. I'm mentioning this to you, because you're from Missouri. (And I remember comments that one of the Missouri bishops made.)

I also wanted to mention that I can identify so much with your "about" statement.

I'm signing on as "anonymous" because I don't seem to be able to register.

Sue@Episcoveg.com

"We believe that it is high time
that provision should be made in the worship of our Church
for the needs of our fellow creatures outside the human race
to be presented in prayer to God."

-- The Rev. Andrew Gibbon, Anglican priest
From an ASWA publication picked up at Canterbury Cathedral in the late 1970's

1/28/2007 8:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home