Monday, September 25, 2006

Wake-Up Call

It certainly has been a dramatic few days. This sequence for me began in the pre-dawn hours of Saturday morning. I need to tell you why I have been so quiet in these last few days, when so much has been poppin' in the Anglican universe.

Every now and then, one gets a wake-up call. I got one Saturday morning.

I awoke ca. 5:30 a.m. Saturday, slumped over my computer where I had fallen asleep after posting about 6 articles to The Episcopal Majority. As my eyes came open, I saw that ToeWalker our EpiscoGeek had asked me a question. And – eyes and instincts coming awake – I tried to key a reply to him. But – oops! – I found I had no motor control in my right hand. It was like my right hand had fallen asleep. I figured it would pass quickly. But it did not, and still has not.

In those wee hours of Saturday, I quickly e-mailed ToeWalker that I seemed to have suffered a major system malfunction in my right hand, and was going to the emergency room.

I initially thought I would drive myself to the ER. But as I began trying to gather my things here, I realized I was beginning also to suffer some loss of motor control in my left hand too. eeeyikes. Had thought I could drive myself to the hospital, but realized I could not. So I had to take the humiliating step of calling 911 and having an ambulance carry me to the hospital.

Like me, the ambulance guys seemed afraid I was having a stroke. And that seemed to be the initial concern of the ER docs, too. But I was not, thanks be to God.

After a good long time, the ER doc diagnosed it as "radial nerve palsy" -- not a stroke, thank God! which symptoms were suggesting. Which should heal itself. And she released me, so I could walk home from the hospital. ER doc said it should clear up within a week; if not, I'll see a neurologist & they'll take a peek at my brain.

Here's what's happening: In my right hand [and I am right-handed] it's kinda like paralysis. I tell my fingers to move & they don’t. I give my hand & fingers commands, and they just laugh at me. I can't hold anything, can't exercise any motor control. There's noticeably reduced motor control in my left hand too. Both hands have a tendency to move & twitch on their own now. Typing is awfully slow & tedious. I continue reading e-mail, but replying or writing is excruciatingly tiring.

So on this weekend when I have been dyin' to comment on the news & developments occurring in the Anglican Communion – and wanting to post quick replies to the comments at both TEM & MOL – this formerly fast touch-typist has been reduced to very, very slow and frustrating hunt-and-peck communications. I've been vacillating between anger and frustrated-tears as I have tried to cope with this.

& some of u have rec'd notes like this – those of u whom I trust 2 try 2 hear me w/o careful keying. Thx to u 4 hearing n trying 2 decipher. U R the 1s with hom I don’t feel need 2 b careful.

Tomorrow I go to my primary doc. I'll let you all know what I learn.

One last thought. As I was fully engaged in my pity-party today, I received Barbara Crafton's latest Almost Daily e-mo, and I am just slack-jawed and grateful for what I do have. And praying fervently that we will have her voice with us forever. My burden is light, and my yoke is easy. Please send all your prayers Barbara's way!

4 Comments:

Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Thx, Flutegirl. But 1-handed blogging is making me wacko. Hard -- if not impossible -- 2 back off & rest.

9/26/2006 12:54 AM  
Blogger Suzer said...

Lisa -- sending prayers for healing your way.

Susan

9/26/2006 10:23 AM  
Blogger Toewalker said...

Hon, I'm glad you're going to see the doc. I've been worried sick since I got your e-mail early Saturday morning. Talking to you over the weekend did help, but still...

Lotsa prayers are (and have been) coming your way from The Loo (St. Louis). Try and rest a bit, mmm-kay?

9/26/2006 11:05 AM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Flat cannot back away from the keyboard, Flutegirl! u know that by now.

LOLOL, jan. They're not doing a full physical, but are today doing bloodwork.

Sadly, if anything, this malady is making me spend more time online! -- just 'cuz I'm so darn much slower at the keyboard.

thx ToeWalker. Yes, have heard u loud & clear.

9/27/2006 8:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home