Sunday, August 13, 2006

Quotable ... on B033

I just recently came across a comment from one of our GC Deputies at What the Tide Brings In. She writes:

". . . The 'big news' that went to the press is that after defeating one resolution after another on any moratorium on consecration of gay or lesbian bishops and/or same sex blessings - a full court press by the PB and PB elect and the need to say something to the Windsor Report (I suppose) resulted in a resolution that says we will exercise restraint in confirming a bishop whose manner of life presents a challenge to the World Wide Anglican Communion. We did not pass a moratorium and we did not address rites for same sex blessings. I did not vote for it as I felt it was one of those things that offered others as the sacrifice - I am willing to sacrifice but could not come home saying - I was called to the cross but I pick you to go instead. I did not see Jesus asking anyone else to his work for him. (oh hey Peter or Mary - why don't you go to Golgotha today). Others (a big majority) had other ideas - so in my mind it was a step away after many steps forward - it remains to be seen what will happen." [Emphasis added]

Well said, Ann. And thank you!

After the Windsor Report was issued, our bishops decided to withhold consent from all bishops until General Convention could "have its say." In doing so, everyone bore some burden. I often wonder: Couldn't GC have effectively extended that wholesale moratorium so that all had some sacrifice? And could not bishops and Standing Committees make their own decision to do so now?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home