Sunday, August 20, 2006

Passionate Hatred

I recently saw this quotation:

“Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause, but also by nursing a fanatical grievance.” – Eric Hoffer in his 1951 book The True Believer.

Yep! Now I understand what those people are saying over on the conservative blogs!

Passionate hatred R them.

Thanks for the quotation, Robert!

2 Comments:

Blogger Catherine said...

Great blog, Lisa. Thanks for your comment on The Episcopal Majority site. I am not a fence-sitter and no battle was ever won or rights ever achieved by doing so. I have become more of an activist than I ever thought I would be. I don't know the exact quote but it goes something like this: "All that's necessary for evil to prevail is for good men/women to do nothing."

I am a reasonably good person and I will not stand by and do nothing. That's why the Holocaust happened and why the LGBT communities in the Middle East suffer so terribly.

Thanks again.

Catherine+

8/22/2006 3:21 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Thanks back to you, Catherine+.

I've recently been reflecting on what "radicalized" me in this current struggle. And I realized, it was the Network's Choose This Day video. The blind hatred and baseless name-calling in that waste of a DVD made me realize the forces of darkness are at work.

Glad to have you with us!

8/22/2006 5:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home