Monday, June 24, 2013

My Car … It is No More

Or: God Punishes Those Who Clean House

I got home today after Church, determined to clean house.  And that’s what I did.  But in the late afternoon I heard something that sounded like a bomb.  I looked out my windows, and saw neighbors running to the front of my house.  I saw my poor Ford Taurus, crashed about 20 feet into my neighbor’s yard. 

The rear half of my Taurus had been smashed to smithereens.  Fortunately, the idiot who hit it … his car was also disabled, so he could not “hit and run.” 

I am deeply grateful for my neighbors.  They had feared I was in the car when it was demolished.  They were very kind and supportive. They were onsite and calling 911 even before I could get out of my house.
The Police arrived promptly.  The wrecker also arrived promptly.  I can’t say how I felt, seeing my car being towed away.

I am grateful to the neighbors who helped me retrieve belongings from the car before it was towed away.

But I don’t know what to do now.  Since I was 16, I have always had a car.  For the first time since I was 16, I don't have a car ... because mine was towed to the junkyard.  I’m not sure what to do now. 

Here are some images. 

My poor car.  Crashed up into the neighbor's yard. 


The wrecker crew is shoveling all the glass, plastic, and metal off to the side of the street. 


The tow-truck is trying to get by car up.  They had a hard time of it.  The frame was so badly bent, and the rear end was so damaged, that they had trouble getting it up on the truck.

Farewell, dear Taurus.  You served me well.  It breaks my heart to see the rear half of the car just decimmated by the idiot driver who crashed into you.

This was the 1st photo I took.  I had parked my car with its rear end by the utility pole.  You can see how far the marauding car hit it.  




And here is the car that demolished my car.  (The woman at left is just a kind neighbor helping him.)  This yahoo has a 2012 model car.  He totalled mine.  And he had no proof of insurance at the scene of the assault. ..  I wonder: Why does a stupid, recklesss 20-something-year-old afford a 2012 model car ... and I'm now without my 2002 car (which is all I can afford)?  Neighbors reported that he was tossing baggies out of his car when it crashed.  I guess drugs pay a lot more than my salary.  

10 Comments:

Blogger JCF said...

{{{Lisa}}}


I know the phrase is "Use things and love people, not love things and use people"...

...but sometimes it's easy to get attached to a car. They're so useful, they involve so much of our stories (of us car-addicted Yanks ;-/), they can seem to have a personality.

They're hard to lose. Especially this way!

I hope *your* insurance (nevermind the yahoo's) will soon have you rolling again.

6/24/2013 2:04 AM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

I thank you deeply, JCF.

6/24/2013 2:05 AM  
Blogger Lauralew said...

Wow, Lisa. I actually came upon the scene of an accident last week eerily similar to yours 2 blocks from my STL place last week. That yahoo took out two cars, and his truck was bashed into a tree. The police were there, and tow trucks.

The hard thing is that you are forced to buy a car when you are not ready financially, and you might have to settle for something you don't want because you have to. Lots of hugs!

6/24/2013 7:07 AM  
Blogger Missouri DMH Housing Unit said...

Lisa, <<>> I am so sorry. Don't hesitate to ask if you need some transportation or errands run.--Dirk

6/24/2013 9:49 AM  
Blogger Missouri DMH Housing Unit said...

Oops, that was meant to be a HUG in the delimiters. --HUGS--!

6/24/2013 9:50 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I saw your post from a new friend, Angela Nona. I worked in the insurance industry for many years and I know that insurance policies very and they are so confusing. Talk to your insurance company. I always advise people to get to know your agent. They will help you! I have State Farm and they never steered me in the wrong direction, even when someone shot an arrow into my car and the guy did not want me to file a report(it was illegal for him to have shot at the raccoons he was aiming for!). Or when a rock hit my windshield from a truck. They replaced it. All minus the deductible. But worth it. So your accident was not your fault and you should not have to pay a deductible. If your policy has it in coverages, you may also have rental coverage. Now because it was an older car, you may only get so much for it and this will be based on the blue book value. You can look that up on line. All you have to do is put in your Year, Make and Model. With that knowledge, you can make sure you are getting the right amount. And when looking for a new car, you can always ask for a "car fax" so you will know the car history, if you decide to go the used route. I got a used 2001 PT cruiser with only 15k miles on it. One owner. Ok, I have rambled on a bit. But wanted to wish you well. Denise

6/24/2013 10:00 AM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Laura, you're right. I was not planning to get another car for a while. Fortunately, I have a savings account earmarked for "car stuff," so I'll have a bit to add to whatever the insurance pays.
Thanks for the hugs. Much appreciated.

6/24/2013 10:28 AM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Thanks a ton, Dirk. At least my bicycle was in the basement and not on the back of the car. But I don't relish the idea of riding it on Missouri Blvd. Yikes!

6/24/2013 10:29 AM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Thank you, Denise. (Any friend of Ange is a friend of mind. :-)

Eek! Your car was struck by an arrow? That sounds like quite a story!

I've notified my insurance company (Shelter), and -- unfortunately -- rental coverage isn't on my policy. (You can bet I'll change that once this mess is settled.) If the other guy has insurance, the agent says, I probably can get them to cover the cost of a rental.

I definitely will go the used-car route, but thanks for the reminder about car fax. That's a great tool.

I appreciate your tips very much.

6/24/2013 10:35 AM  
Blogger tongcui said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6/25/2013 2:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home