Friday, September 21, 2012

Romney Tax Returns: How Charitable is He?

Mitt Romney has finally released his 2011 tax returns.  He paid a lower rate I did -- except that he earned nearly $14 millon.  What's that the Bible said about proportional giving?  Oh well, never mind.  For Mittens has said, "I pay all the taxes that are legally required and not a dollar more. I don't think you want someone as the candidate for president who pays more taxes than he owes."

Here's what I wonder: His tax accountants say he gave $4 million to charity.  I hope that some journalists will gain access to his tax returns and tell us which charities he supported.  Was it the Mormon-backed anti-gay referendum in California?  Were they the thinly-veiled political organizations that have 501(c)3 tax-exempt status?  Or were they the kind of charities I support -- my parish and organizations that care for the poor in my community? 

Journalists, please tell us what "charities" Mittens supported to the tune of $4 million. 

4 Comments:

Blogger JCF said...

Mainly the LDS Church, I imagine?

9/22/2012 2:32 AM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

I don't presume to know. But I know many Mormons gave huge amounts against California's marriage law. I also know that seemingly benign people -- like the owner of Chik-Fil-A -- turned out to be quite partisan in their "charitable" giving. I'd just like to know that charities Romney supported. "For where your treasure is, there also is your heart."

9/22/2012 6:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anyone know what charities Obama and Biden give to? Would they be ones that the conservative half of the country would like? If the money each person gave to their church didn't count as charity, how much would people really be giving? I mean, not even the Red Cross and Salvation Army are good choices, depending on one's politics. Which charities are allowable?

9/22/2012 10:01 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Good point, Chris. I think it would be interesting to see that info.

BTW, I'm a liberal Episcopalian, and my parish is left of center, theologically and politically. But our main partnership is with the Salvation Army here. While our theologies might diverge, we both have a commitment to their sheltering the homeless and feeding the hungry. We donate food to them and cook a meal once a month. In addition, our parish has built a prayer garden on their grounds and replaced their old, crumbling playground with a new, kid-safe one. A couple of times a year, my parish and the residents/clients of the S.A. share a picnic on their grounds.

9/23/2012 8:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home