Monday, July 02, 2012

The Coming Tsunami: GC2012



Way back in 2003, I started closely following the actions of The Episcopal Church and the Anglican Communion.  By the close of the 2003 General Convention, I knew I wanted to stand for election as a Deputy. 
But wanting to be a Deputy is not enough if one has a secular job.  One must accrue enough vacation time to spend nearly two weeks at General Convention.  One must also have enough “vacation time” to attend meetings of the Deputation in the 9 months leading up to General Convention. In my case, it took six years for me to do so.   
I was deeply honored when the Diocese of Missouri elected me as one of the Deputies to the 2012 General Convention.  In the intervening months, I have continued to follow the e-mail listserv of the Bishops and Deputies, as well as the news from The Episcopal Church.  Starting in October, I have also met with the other GC Deputies from the Diocese of Missouri.  We have worked to get acquainted.  We have studied the news from TEC.  We have shared perspectives on the resolutions and legislation that will come to General Convention this month in Indianapolis. 
The Floor of the House of Deputies is massive. 
Having closely followed many of the Deputies who have blogged about General Convention since 2003, there are some things I know.  I know it is an exhausting experience, with many 14-hour days.  I know it is a delightful time when I will get to meet people I have only “virtually” met through e-mail and the blogosphere.  I know that the GC agenda is loaded so that most of the crucial resolutions come to the floor in the last few days, when Deputies are most exhausted.  I know that many complex issues are coming before us this month –including the blessing of same-gender covenants, the question of allowing communion before baptism, removing the requirement for confirmation before leadership, action on the Anglican Covenant, and a gazillion other actions that have received less publicity. 
I have done my best to study all those issues.  I have studied the proposals. I have listened to the other Deputies in our diocese as well as others nationally on the HoBD listserv.  When we arrive in Indianapolis and convene, I will listen to still more voices though the committee hearings.
And then the resolutions will come to the House of Deputies.  And I will have to vote “yea” or “nay” on each one.  The Rules of the House of Deputies require that each Deputy must vote on every action; no abstentions are allowed. 
The closer I come to General Convention, the more I covet the prayers of all my friends.  I pray that the Holy Spirit will be flowing through the House of Deputies more powerfully than the air-conditioning vents.  I pray that my friends throughout the Church will be holding us in prayer.  I pray that – on each resolution – I will do the right thing.  I also pray your forgiveness for those moments when I will fail to do the right thing. 
I have never been more humble than I am in these hours as I move toward Indianapolis and the General Convention. 
I have never been more aware that I am “standin’ in the need of prayer.” 
Please pray for me and the whole General Convention.  Pray that we will be able to be still and hear the whisper of the Holy Spirit amid the cacophany that sometimes characterizes General Convention.  And please forgive me if I am so overwhelmed by GC that I won’t be able to blog here. 

7 Comments:

Blogger Wormwood's Doxy said...

I will definitely be praying for you, Lisa. Thank you for taking on this monumental job on behalf of the church--I am grateful for your willingness to serve and for your careful and prayerful preparation.

Pax,
Doxy

7/02/2012 8:38 AM  
Blogger JCF said...

Prayers comin' atcha/for ya, Lisa. God bless! God bless TEC, and our GC!

7/03/2012 1:07 AM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Deep thanks to both of you. After a nearly sleepless night, I've given up and am now finishing my packing and getting ready to load the car.

Keep the prayers coming.

7/03/2012 6:32 AM  
Blogger it's margaret said...

You are and will be in my prayers dearest Lisa. And thank you for serving.

7/03/2012 9:05 PM  
Blogger Pat Klemme said...

Prayers ascend for you and all who will be serving the Lord and our church at GC 2012. Thank you and may you feel our gratitude for your service and sacrifice! And, Lisa... have fun!!

7/03/2012 10:24 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am honored to have heard some of the stories of your journey to GC. I cannot imagine a more whole or faithful deputy. I am praying for you and for GC in many ways. Today I pray that you are able to get good, restful sleep each night.

Anne

7/07/2012 4:41 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Thank you, all. I do feel enveloped in prayer.
Now I just need to find a way to get a decent night's sleep.

Written at 4 a.m. EDT. :(
Lisa

7/09/2012 4:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home