Friday, September 10, 2010

Road Trip

I’ve had a good couple of days, thanks to my day job. I’m just returned from two days and nearly 600 miles on the road. One fine digitization project, and visits to eight courthouses.

I love road trips! But I prefer the ones that are bathed in sunshine. Unfortunately, this one fell during the monsoons that are the remnants of a hurricane, so it was more a “pontoon trip” than a “road trip.” I have the soggy shoes and socks to prove it. Yuck. :(

But on the positive side, this was a trip spent almost entirely on “blue highways.” After getting past St. Louis, I was exclusively on the state and county roads that I enjoy.

Meanwhile, I have finally purchased a digital camera and am beginning to learn how to use it.

In the last couple of hours of this trip, the sun finally came out, and I was approaching a site that I have often wished to document. I always chuckle when I pass this site, but this is the first time I’ve stopped to snap a photo. So here you have it.


It’s a tiny little cemetery, this Useful Cemetery. It’s not owned by any city or congregation. I wonder who owns and manages it. Looking at the graves and markers, I found ones dating from the late 19th century until just last month.

Perhaps I’ll someday have my ashes interred in a Useful Cemetery.

6 Comments:

Blogger Kirkepiscatoid said...

Aren't all cemeteries useful? Otherwise, you'd have all those decomposing corpses lying around and stinking up the place...and where would small town teenagers be able to do the underage drinking thing?

9/10/2010 11:23 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Indeed, KirkE! They're all useful. I just find this cemetery name amusing.

And... yeah ... we have too many kids here adding to the cemetery ranks. WTF is it with kids around here????

9/10/2010 11:42 PM  
Blogger Caminante said...

Great name.

9/12/2010 4:07 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth Kaeton said...

My grandmother had a cat she named "Util" which is "Useful" in Portuguese. We kids called her "Tilly" which annoyed my grandmother, which made it even more fun.

But, "Useful Cemetery"? Good thing you snapped the picture. I probably wouldn't have believed you otherwise.

9/13/2010 8:23 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Indeed, it is a great name, Caminante. I love the sense of it. But I must reveal that it's outside of a tiny little unincorporated Missouri town named "Useful." Still ... I love the notion of being interred in a Useful Cemetery.

9/13/2010 8:34 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Believe it, Elizabeth.

And thanks for that story. I would love to name a cat "Util," just to peeve it!

9/13/2010 8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home