Thursday, March 04, 2010

Missouri Consents to Glasspool

The Standing Committee of the Diocese of Missouri met on February 23, and voted consent to the consecration of the Rev. Mary Glasspool as Bishop Suffragan in the Diocese of Los Angeles. I am, of course, pleased by this decision. And I’m a bit surprised. I thought they might decline.

On Tuesday (March 2), the Standing Committee issued a formal statement about its decision. Click here to read the full statement.

They report:
We began our prayerful deliberation of this consent at our January meeting. While the details of the discussion are private, it is important to share something about our process. Together, we are committed to thoughtful, respectful, faithful discussion. In this election, there are complexities that will touch all of us. After an initial discussion in January, we agreed to give ourselves the gift of time and the matter was tabled. At our meeting on February 23, the discussion was reopened. Once again, we reiterated our commitment to thoughtful, respectful, faithful discussion. After a substantial conversation, the question was called. While the vote was not easy, quickly taken, or unanimous, we voted to grant our consent to the election of the Rev. Mary Glasspool.
I think it's a well-crafted, thoughtful, pastoral statement. I respect the process the Standing Committee used. I respect the pastoral care they seemed to extend to one another.

And yet I must say I am sorry they (apparently) easily consented to seven other bishops-elect in their January meeting ... but needed another month to consider Mary Glasspool's election. I understand it. But I regret it. I truly yearn for the day when gay men and lesbians are just as boring as everyone else when it comes to ordinations and consecrations throughout our church.

The Standing Committee’s statement includes this:
As a body, we consider both the importance of supporting/ratifying decisions made by our brothers and sisters in other dioceses and the impact of these decisions on The Episcopal Church and the Anglican Communion.
While awaiting the Standing Committee’s decision, I was well aware that our diocese values its connections to the Anglican Communion – and specifically to our partners in Sudan. Surely they were as aware as I that the Archbishop of Canterbury had done his finger-wagging routine immediately after Glasspool’s election, warning us that there could be Dire Consequences were we to consent to her consecration. I was concerned that those concerns might lead our Standing Committee to withhold consent.

I’m grateful they consented despite these threats.

2 Comments:

Blogger Caminante said...

It took the SC of the Dio VT two meetings a month apart to take the vote on Mark Lawrence... a vote that ended up 'no.'

3/13/2010 4:49 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Thanks for this perspective, Caminante.

In fact, having had a few days to reflect on Missouri's decision, I am grateful they took that long with it ... and took such good care of each other in the process.

As I said, I just learn for the day when Standing Committees can evaluate LGBT candidates by the same criteria as they do others.

Of course, Mark Lawrence was -- and is -- a whole 'nother kettle o' fish ... for he was (and is) duplicitous about whether he even wanted to remain an Episcopalian.

"Faithful to the doctrine, discipline, and worship of this Church." Lawrence clearly wasn't. Glasspool clearly is.

3/14/2010 11:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home