Sunday, March 07, 2010

No Hope for Civilization

I have my degrees in English and literature. I'm an old fuddy-duddy who thinks we should pay attention to grammar, spelling, and punctuation. Sometimes, I worry that texting, Facebooking, and other media that disregard those niceties just might be harbingers of The End of the World As We Know It. I am so old-fashioned that I bristle at the increasing use of "data" on NPR as if it were a singular noun. grrrrrrr

I enjoy the FailBooking site (courtesy of the ICanHasCheezburger folks), which captures and lampoons screenshots from Facebook ... even though it is often PG- or even R-rated.

This one is priceless. Read it and laugh ... or groan.


Funny Facebook Fails
see more funny facebook stuff!

God bless Jeff!

9 Comments:

Blogger susan s. said...

Oh yes, I'm bord of her spelling of bored. That's another thing that gets me. Why does the use of 'of' get such stupid use? Wouldn't that be bored *by* etc.?

3/07/2010 6:34 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Indeed, Susan.

And don't even get me started on its and it's.

I have a hunch Darwin got it only half right. At the current pace of communications, I'm pretty sure humankind is headed back to the primeval forest, where we will just scratch ourselves and grunt to one another, using really expensive communication devices.

3/07/2010 6:42 PM  
Blogger IT said...

Have you seen the movie "Idiocracy"?

3/07/2010 6:49 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

No, IT. I can't even remember the last movie I saw. :(

Say more.

3/07/2010 6:55 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

OTOH, my fingers regularly made the following typo when I was preparing the "Boared" agenda. Always made me smile a little.

K

3/08/2010 1:41 PM  
Blogger BentonQuest said...

U meen UR not lvn txt tlk? And why is it any easier to type "gurl" instead of "girl?"

3/08/2010 9:10 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Karen, that's better than mine. I suspect "boared" would have been truth.

Back in the '90s, when I worked for a library network that served academic and public libraries, I lived in fear that I would issue a statement to "pubic" libraries.

Oh, BentonQuest, you leave me breathless! I have no idea what you said.

3/08/2010 9:31 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

"Of." You know--could of, should of, would of.

So many candidates to choose among: the marvelous "whole-language reading programs," a total lack of speech and diction training, a total lack of disregard for "formal English" (no contractions or abbreviations in writing at the elementary/middle school level), media that models sloppy usage and pronunciation . . . Students are simply clueless as to how the language should sound and how those sounds translate to letters.

Now to go back and grade the next 80 7th grade papers (sob).

3/11/2010 4:51 AM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Oh yes and amen, Catherine!

And you're stuck with 7th-grade papers??!! You??? I fear I would not survive.

3/14/2010 11:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home