Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Massachusetts Falls

And Health Care Reform Died Several Months Ago

By now, you will have heard that Massachusetts elected a Republican Senator for the first time since the 1950s. I wrote about this last night, when we saw this coming. I don’t often write about politics, but I can’t resist tonight. I ranted last night about what the pundits were saying. I’ll add this now.

Pundits are saying this is “the end of President Obama’s health care bill.” That is a lie!

President Obama’s bill died several months ago even before it went to the House, then it was skewered in the 2009 Senate, because President Obama never even lobbied hard – so far as I can tell – for his bill in Congress. He never fought for his vision of health care, and that’s when I began doubting my support for him. The skeleton that is now left in the Congress is nothing like Candidate Obama advocated during the election. Obama let the Congress fuck-over his dreams and wishes, as well as mine. What we have left is the viscera – something the turkey vultures might reject. When Obama failed to exercise leadership about health care is when I began doubting him.

Personally, I couldn’t care less about the purported “health care bill” that is now in Congress. It’s not Obama’s bill. It’s not a bill I would support. I couldn’t care less how Congress votes, nor how the new Senator from Massachusetts votes on it. Let him filibuster. Let him kiss-up to Lieberman. Let them butt-fuck the whole legislation. It no longer matters. Obama didn’t care enough to fight for the health care he promised in his candidacy. He let the whole Congress whore this legislation, and now the whole thing is pointless.

So much for “Got Hope.”

The remaining health care bill needs to be put out of its misery. If the new Senator from Massachusetts and the Whore of Connecticut team up to make that happen, so be it.

That’s what I say. Though all my favorite folks on MSNBC are saying the opposite.

11 Comments:

Blogger it's margaret said...

I'm pissed too. Just sayin'.

1/19/2010 9:35 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Thank you, Margaret.

The goverment of the neanderthals has now replaced the republic written into our constitution.

I'm with you, sistuh!

1/19/2010 9:38 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Margaret, in the interest of disclosure, I should confess I'm ticked about the Massachusetts election. I don't think it will make one bit of difference in the ill-fated hope for true health care reform. But I hate the Republicans.

There. I said it.

And I cracked up just now, when I saw the new Republican Senator from Massachusetts on TV essentially offering up his two "virgin daughters" to the highest bidders in the World's Longest Acceptance Speech. He looks like he might be Boob #1 of the Republican Party. May his tribe increase.

1/19/2010 10:13 PM  
Blogger MarkBrunson said...

We're in dark times.

I, for one, am truly afraid of my fellow citizens, now.

1/19/2010 10:28 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

You and me both, Mark.

The tyranny of the majority has been creeping upon us for quite a while.

Any idiot can vote. And, more often than not, they vote for the demagogue nowadays. Not surprising, giving how few of our citizens are actually, truly literate.

1/19/2010 10:31 PM  
Blogger IT said...

Well, I wasn't happy with the health care plan, but it was better than nothing. It would have meant my unemployed 20 year old pre-diabetic step daughter could get some sort of coverage without elimination for pre-existing conditions. It would have expanded our ability to cover her under out plans. It would have provided some options--not enough, but something. And now, it will be dead for another generation.

And I'm pissed at the purist MA crybabies who turned Teddy Kennedy's seat....TEDDY KENNEDY!!!!.... over to a witless wonder posing in Cosmo, just because they were peeved at the impurity of the Democratic candidate.

The Dems lost this one. The infighting in MA has cost the rest of the country enormously. Same way
People voting for Nader helped give this country to bush for 8 years. I am so freaking disgusted with everyone.

1/19/2010 11:22 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

With ya, IT. I'm pretty much disgusted with them all, too.

Like you, I was happy with those few gains. But I wasn't happy *enough.*

I had a reminder this week: A married couple I know are losing their jobs. They have the same employer. They won't be able to afford COBRA coverage. Both of them will lose their medical coverage, and Obama and the Congress aren't going to do shit to help them. As far as I can tell, neither our President nor our Congress give a rat's ass about these people.

That's very dear to my heart. I was faced with COBRA back in the late '90s. I informed all my family and friends that they were not to take me to the hospital or to an ER if I was seriously ill or injured. I instructed them -- in no uncertain terms! -- to let me die instead. Because I did not want to spend the rest of my life paying medical bills.

As far as I can tell, the current bill in Congress doesn't help any of this one iota. They are not proposing health care reform. They are merely debating about how much they will protect the health "care" industry. To me, this is a complete betrayal of everything that moved me to support Obama.

1/19/2010 11:52 PM  
Blogger IT said...

Well, LIsa, I totally agree. But I also admit that the reality of our broken political system means we won't get a meal: we could have a crumb, or nothing.

The obstructionist Repubs and the incompetent Dems and the MA crybabies decided to have nothing.

And, just like the Nader voters in the bush years, some of them are saying "that'll show them!" but it won't. The numbers aren't there.

We were never going to have everything. we weren't going to have enough. We could have had somthing.

Now we'll have NOTHING.

1/20/2010 12:27 AM  
Blogger JimB said...

Mass, has the bill I wish the Congress had adopted. And yes, the bill is dead. The Senate bill deserves to die it sucks, and the House bill wont fly in the Senate.

Someone needs to send the white house a dictionary with the word, "leadership" underlined.

FWIW
jimB

1/20/2010 3:02 PM  
Blogger Leonard said...

I am so freaking disgusted with everyone.¨

It´s amazing to rediscover the reality of the situation...we know that we will continue to strive...we need a breather. Obama needs a reality check. There is something terribly wrong at the White House and Barack Obama best figure ¨it¨ (not you, IT) out...there is something about 1/2 measures going on and it is poisoning the atmosphere...it´s not about ¨compromise¨ it´s about ¨winning¨ power.

1/20/2010 4:35 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Amen, Jim -- about the legislation and about "leadership." *sigh*

I share your disgust, Leonardo. I'm just not sure who disgusts me more: the Democrats who know who should happen and lack the courage to do it, or the Republicans [and the majority of voters in Massachusetts] who say, "I've got mine; the hell with you."

Tonight, after the Supreme Court decision, I feel even more glum about all this. We had lost the republic in the last couple of days with all these popular-majority votes on constitutions and the rights of people. Now we don't even have a democracy. The U.S. has now been sold -- lock, stock, and barrel -- to the large corporations. It looks pretty bleak to me.

1/21/2010 9:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home