Monday, September 07, 2009

End of Summer

Several bloggers and Facebook friends are remarking this weekend that it's the end of summer. Indeed it is, and with it comes a certainly melancholy for me. This weekend, I noticed a few maples and dogwoods are tinged with red and golden colors. This does not make me happy. For me, autumn is a time of melancholy and loss as the world begins to die again.

I spent a long-ago late summer listening again and again and again to the soundtrack of Aspects of Love on cassette tape. [Remember those?] From time to time over the years, I replayed it ... until I no longer had a tape player. I never knew it had been produced as a musical.

Any other secret romantic fans of Aspects of Love out there? Anybody know where to get the musical on CD or DVD? Tell me in the comments.

With thanks to Sharon for pointing me to this video.



If the embedding doesn't work, watch it here on YouTube.

Lyrics:

Love, love changes everything
Hands and faces, earth and sky
Love, love changes everything
How you live and how you die
Love, can make the summer fly
Or a night seem like a lifetime
Yes love, love changes everything
Now I tremble at your name
Nothing in the world will ever be the same

Love, love changes everything
Days are longer, words mean more
Love, love changes everything
Pain is deeper than before
Love will turn your world around
And that world will last forever
Yes love, love changes everything
Brings you glory, brings you shame
Nothing in the world will ever be the same

Off into the world we go
Planning futures, shaping years
Love (comes in) and suddenly all our wisdom disappears
Love makes fools of everyone
All the rules we made are broken
Yes love, love changes everyone
Live or perish in its flame
Love will never never let you be the same
Love will never never let you be the same

14 Comments:

Blogger Ann said...

More here. Webber really knows how to write a melody that can hook you. Thanks Lisa.

9/07/2009 7:28 PM  
Blogger Riley said...

I could only find the Audio CD,
but there's a FB group...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Aspects-of-Love-the-musical

Nice to see you blogging again. Missed you!

9/07/2009 7:52 PM  
Blogger Fran said...

My really good friend Donna feels like you do when fall comes; me - I spring to life in fall. Why is that? Who knows.

Glad that you got some Aspects of Love answers, I did not have a clue.

Prayers and good thoughts for you always dear Lisa.

9/07/2009 8:31 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Good link to the plot, Ann. Thanks for that.

Having almost memorized the soundtrack, I would love to find a CD/DVD of the London or Broadway stage production.

9/07/2009 8:40 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Thanks, Riley. Good to see you in the neighborhood again.

9/07/2009 8:40 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Thanks for dropping in, Fran.

Yeah, it's weird that some people are enlivened by fall, when the earth is dying. I wish I didn't suffer this melancholy!

9/07/2009 8:42 PM  
Blogger Kirkepiscatoid said...

One of the advantages of living in a town with a college campus and a medical school is that "Fall is spring." The natural world is dying for the oncoming winter, but life begins on a campus in fall. It's a great antithesis to what's going on in nature's cycle.

9/07/2009 11:02 PM  
Blogger IT said...

Saw the original London cast not long after the opening. A bit over the top.... didn't really work for me.

But then I'm a Sondheim fan.

;-)

One of my memorable London experiences was being in the audience during the previews of Sunset Boulevard and seeing Webber and christopher Hampton in the back of the stalls gauging audience reax. Patti Lupone as Norma Desmond -- panned by the critics but quite effective.

9/07/2009 11:05 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Maria, I envy you the sense of new beginnings.

9/08/2009 12:04 AM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

IT, I recognize my response to this musical is a romantic one. Not borne of literary criticism.

9/08/2009 12:06 AM  
Blogger Göran Koch-Swahne said...

Sweet.

9/08/2009 12:39 AM  
Blogger Paul said...

I really enjoyed the song. Thanks!

I'm an incurable romantic and very into a bittersweet aesthetic. That's what fall is: bittersweet.

It is also when the world cools and we get more energy after all that summer lassitude. A favorite season for many of us.

Hugs!

9/09/2009 10:52 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Glad you enjoyed it, Paul. Yeah, I'm a romantic, too.

But I must disagree with you about energy and lassitude ... at least for me. I go into hibernation in winter, using as little energy as possible. In summer, I am all about energy! I guess it takes all kinds.

Of course, if there were any cosmic justice, I would be living in NM or AZ ... not in MO!

9/10/2009 10:15 PM  
Blogger PseudoPiskie said...

I love fall. I love the colors. I love getting out the turtlenecks (to hide behind) and sweats. I don't think of it as dying. The human world is resuming its frantic schedule. The vegetable world is going into hibernation. The weather is gorgeous. When not, it is a marvelous excuse to cuddle up in the recliner, perhaps light a fire in the fireplace, make some hot chocolate and read. But then I love all the seasons and am happy I live where they change.

9/20/2009 8:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home