Friday, July 10, 2009

TELP in the Pressroom

I will confess to some schadenfreude when I learned that Matt Kennedy (of StandFirm infamy) was refused press credentials to cover our General Convention. I don’t know why his request was denied. It can't be simply because he wants to blow up the Episcopal Church, for David Virtue continues to get press credentials.

I was delighted, though, to see and hear our Elizabeth Kaeton in this morning’s media briefing. She asked a cogent question about whether the bishops might want to be observers in the House of Deputies conversation about B033. It’s a question I have asked here in my blog.

Watch it here:



or click on this link.

Elizabeth appears about 2 minutes in.

I am just sorry we only got to see and listen from behind her.

I am working on another rant – totally separate from this matter. The Episcopal Church ballyhooed its “Media Hub.” But I have not been able to get that MediaHub to load properly and give me clear streaming video, whether I’m at home on my high-speed DSL connection or at work with my blazingly high-speed T1 connection. It seems to me that the “communicators” at The Episcopal Church have totally bungled their effort … while they are asking us to trust them to give up print publication and move into the bold new world of Internet communications.

In my book, the TEC staff has scored one big goose-egg in their communications. I wanted to watch this press conference on the TEC site, but I could not. I had to watch it at the site of our worthy opponent, Baby Blue. That is SO WRONG! My experience of the TEC communications during the GC so far tells me we can't trust them any further than we can throw them.

4 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth Kaeton said...

Oh my. I had no idea I was being filmed! I found Bishop Tom Shaw's answer helpful. I hope the members of the HOB come, sit in the gallery and listen.

7/10/2009 1:03 AM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

I'm glad you were, Elizabeth. Your question was one I wanted to ask. I agree with you about Bishop Shaw's answer. I wish the bishops would come and listen ... IF tomorrow's session is more useful than this evening's was!

7/10/2009 1:13 AM  
Blogger Kirkepiscatoid said...

FWIW, I have not been impressed with the media hub either. But it is a new thing to try; maybe 3 years from now they will get it right. I'll just feel "neutral" about it.

7/10/2009 11:18 AM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Maria, over at the Three Legged Stool, James has this warning on his link to the GCHub: "WARNING - keeps crashing my browser when the site is working the site simply isn't working properly."

7/10/2009 12:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home