Thursday, July 09, 2009

Lift High the Cards

In the recent days leading up to General Convention, there was a conversation on the HoBD listserv about today’s electronic voting do-hickeys vs. yesterday’s tradition of lifting up red or green sheets to vote “no” or “yes.” Someone recalled that a couple of deputies had taken up the microphone at a past General Convention to sing a hymn to the red and green voting cards.

I have searched the wide world over, and found Lowell Grisham, who is willing to admit his joint authorship of that hymn. He said it was written and "performed" by him and David Elliott of Mississippi. It was sung to the tune of "Lift High the Cross" at the 1991 Arizona Convention.

Enjoy!

Refrain:
Lift high the cards
The green and red, those two
Till our Convention says,
"Debate is through."

I
Fort Worth and Newark
Vote a different game,
But blessed are the color-blind
Who see them both the same.

Refrain

II
It's true men's voices,
When voting, rage and foam
Are louder in this House
But, not our house at home.

Refrain

III
March we to Heaven
After we are dead,
But will good St. Peter
Raise the green or red?

7 Comments:

Blogger Kirkepiscatoid said...

Damn! Someone beat me two it almost two decades ago. You know how I love to write fractured song lyrics...

7/09/2009 7:01 PM  
Blogger Cany said...

ah and people think Robin Williams is the only Piski Comedian!

7/09/2009 8:12 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Lowell Grisham is a gem!

7/09/2009 11:43 PM  
Blogger Doug said...

I love Lowell. He was my rector in Arkansas for several years, and they don't make many like him! He seems so serious so much of the time, but then he goes and does something like this. He does a great morning reflection podcast (most) weekday mornings (http://www.stpaulsfay.org/id244.html).

7/10/2009 8:47 AM  
Blogger David said...

I am proud to say that Lowell was my EYC President at my first chruch when I got out of seminary. Even though I am now retired and do not go to G C anymore, I'll never forget singing "Lift High the Cards" with Lowell for a few years.. We had a ball!!!

7/13/2009 9:51 PM  
Blogger David said...

Correction.. Gay Love is my wife's name.. I am David Elliott who co-wrote and co-sang "Lift HIgh the Cards.."

7/13/2009 9:53 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Glorious things of Lowell are spoken. I'm not surprised by what you wrote. He sounds like a gem. I hope to meet him someday.

7/13/2009 10:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home