Saturday, May 23, 2009

Waters of Hope for Lui

I don’t believe I have ever used my blog to solicit funds, but I am doing it today … shamelessly. Not for me. And not for a legal defense fund. [*cough* Colorado *cough*] But in appeal for your help in bringing clean drinking water to the people of Lui, in the Episcopal Church of Sudan.

The Diocese of Missouri has a covenant relationship with Lui/Sudan. Foremost in our relationship is the commitment to bring clean drinking water to the people of Lui. Clean drinking water can bring health … which leads to education … which can help people thrive who are ready to take their destiny in their hands. These water projects especially help the women and girls of Lui, which currently spend many hours each day carrying water from far-off wells. If we can drill more wells, we can free up their time so they can go to school.

Most of you know of my trip to the Diocese of Lui (Sudan) in 2006, and you have a sense of how it changed my outlook on life. At the moment, we have yet another mission team on the ground in Lui (Sudan). Our current missioners are blogging at LuiNotes (where my reflections are in the archives) and LuLuLui.

On May 25, the Waters of Hope will kick off here in the Diocese of Missouri. It’s a joint effort by the Dioceses of Missouri and Iowa. It’s a grueling 7-day, 630-mile bike ride designed to raise awareness and funds for water in Lui (Missouri’s companion diocese) and Swaziland (Iowa’s companion diocese). The riders will end their trek by riding into Christ Church Cathedral on Pentecost Sunday (May 31). You can read Joe Chambers’ letter here.

I am making a shameless pitch for your prayer support and financial support.

If you are on Facebook, please click on Waters of Hope to support this cause. Help by joining, donating, or inviting your friends! We are having a friendly competition here in the diocese to see who can solicit the most prayer partners and donations. So it will help me if you enter through that Facebook portal.

If you are not on Facebook, please go directly to the Waters of Hope donation page.

Don’t worry if you cannot be a big donor. Every contribution will help – whether you can donate $5.00 or much more. If you have appreciated my blog at all, I ask that you consider making a contribution to this cause that is so very near and dear to my heart.

I know many of you have already donated, and I thank you. This is the final push before the bikers “push off” on May 25.

Please prayerfully consider whether you can make a contribution.

Thank you for tolerating my first-ever financial appeal.

2 Comments:

Blogger it's margaret said...

I hope there is no time limit on this --as I will make a donation the beginning of next week (payck time!)

God bless you for doing this, and may the people of Lui/Sudan drink clear water in good health. This is very important work.

5/24/2009 1:46 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Thank you, Margaret. I expect there is some sort of deadline, but I'd guess it goes into early June. Many of us made donations up-front. But many of us are also pledging "so much per mile" for our friends and parishioners who are making the ride. (Our Junior Warden plans to ride 371 miles of the trek, and I'll make that additional contribution after he finishes the ride, which concludes on May 31.) So I'm sure contributions will still be arriving in early June.

BTW, the Diocese of Missouri has had well-drilling as a top priority for the last three years, and we are already seeing improvement in the people's health, especially in the reduction of bacterial disease. You would not believe the muddy water I saw them drinking (when I was there in early 2006) -- collected from the bottoms of shallow bore-holes. Made the stomach turn. {gag!} The situation is getting better now, but there is still so much more to be done.

Thank you, Margaret, for whatever you can do. God will bless it richly. I have no doubt.

5/24/2009 3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home