Friday, March 27, 2009

Darn Digital Conversion

I'm waiting to hear how the TV "digital conversion" is going to do anything good for me ... or for anyone.

I live in the barren middle of Missouri. I watch PBS, C-Span, and (in football and baseball seasons) some of the sports channels.

I felt very lucky that we received two PBS television stations -- one from St. Louis, and one from western Missouri. They carried sufficiently different programs that it was great to get both of them.

Since the "conversion," I no longer get the St. Louis PBS station. I thought it was just a glitch and that I hadn't found its new location on the dial. Today I got a mailing from my cable company. Apparently the St. Louis station will no longer be carried here. Dammit!

Was the "digital conversion" designed to expand our options? Or was it merely designed to let Bubba watch NASCAR on a big-ass high-def TV?

[Exits, growling]

10 Comments:

Blogger MarkBrunson said...

Very troublesome.

I no longer receive PBS here, either. The one network openly critical of our government - who decreed this change and made sure everybody could get a box - and it's not available on digital.

Just 'cause I'm paranoid doesn't mean nobody's out to get me.

3/27/2009 11:43 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

I'm with you, Marc.

The Republicans gave us this "conversion."

3/28/2009 12:36 AM  
Blogger David G. said...

It's all about the mighty Dollar!!

3/28/2009 1:06 AM  
Blogger Lauralew said...

Funny, in South Dakota this digital conversion gave us two more PBS stations for a total of 3. They are not carried on my cable, but I picked up digital rabbit ears from Target and I get them that way. It is interesting to see how this affects different parts of the country.

3/28/2009 11:59 AM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

"Digital rabbit ears"?? Who knew??

Your comment makes me wonder what (if any) rhyme or reason is at work here?

3/28/2009 12:10 PM  
Blogger Lindy said...

I don't think there's any big conspiracy. Nobody in the Bush administration was smart enough to pull off a conspiracy. I think it's just about trying to sell TVs. Let's hear it for capitalism...

3/28/2009 1:40 PM  
Blogger it's margaret said...

Yes Lisa --digital rabbit ears. We refuse to buy cable, and have an old fashioned TV with rabbit ears. One can buy a converter box at BestBuy and then you can have digital rabbit ears. Try it!

As for the other --I'm thinking Bubba won the TV round.

3/28/2009 2:59 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Right, Lindy. I need to breathe and not assume Bush was in charge.

LOL, Margaret. But I'm on cable. Not sure how this all works. I'm such a techno-ignoramus. :(

3/28/2009 6:32 PM  
Blogger toujoursdan said...

Sorry, late to the conversation. What bothers me about the whole is the forced waste it caused. Over the past year I would see more and more TVs on the curb for trash pickup that were perfectly good sets.

3/31/2009 9:11 AM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Amen, Dan! It is a travesty.

3/31/2009 9:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home