Wednesday, February 18, 2009

ICHC on Biblical Exegesis

I read many blogs, websites, and listservs on our Anglican and Episcopalian concerns, and sometimes I just shake my head at how the scriptural interpretations fly fast and furious.

Mark Harris has a delightful drawing on the topic.

Over at Jawbones, Jan Nunley has hosted a series of conversations (here, here, here, and here) into which Matt Kennedy and Tobias Haller have participated. I love the way Jan keeps “calling the question”!

But when I saw this one today on ICanHasCheezburger, it seemed to say it all.

Basement Cat on:  Satisfaction
see more crazy cat pics

For those of you not familiar with the ICanHasCheezburger site, three of the recurring characters are Ceiling Cat (a white cat), Basement Cat (solid black), and HoverCat … God, Satan, and the Holy Spirit. “Jeebus” also makes an occasional appearance.

I cannot believe Ceiling Cat is happy when “Christians” lob little snippets of Scripture at each other like IEDs. You know my perspective. I believe “our side” is trying to speak from the whole Gospel of Christ. And I think most of our worthy opponents are prooftexting, with little snippets of shellfish arguments.

But I’ll refrain from getting all polemical. I just hope you enjoy the image.

5 Comments:

Blogger Ann said...

funny but I wish they would use some other image than black for the devil and white for god - in my rant mode.

2/18/2009 8:50 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Yeah, but they're not Christians. It's just archetypal ... or just stereotypical.

2/18/2009 8:53 PM  
Blogger JCF said...

I'm simply too fond of black "kittehs" (who are usually very sweet---probably an evolutionary adaptation, to get past their rep!) to see them as Satanic (or "Basement") material [And for similar reasons, I'm too fond of black dogs, to see them as a representative of depression. I've been fighting the latter much of my life, and it's NOTHING like a friendly, tail-wagging black dog (who may be, in fact, one of the better alleviators of the depressive state :-D)]

All that said: funny cartoon!

2/20/2009 1:14 AM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

JCF, I'm with you! The dear little homeless cat whom the vet thrust into my hands last May is a black cat. And she is a darling. ... And it's very dear that this year-old cat adores my 18-year-old orange Scott.

2/21/2009 5:16 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Ann, I am embarrassed to say it's taken me 3 days to realize what must've been behind your comment. I pondered it and pondered it, trying to figure out what you meant.

Now ... I think maybe I have it: Were you talking about the racist implicationsn of white = good and black = bad? I flat missed that.

I grew up with the cultural idioms of white = clean and black = dirty.

Having recently been exposed to some other racism exposures, I wonder if that's what you were talking about.

Oy!

2/21/2009 5:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home