Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Face and Body Update

Since Monday evening, I have spent my energies on Facebook rather than my blog here. I've had some requests and harangues that now force me to post a bit of an update over here.

Monday evening, I was carrying a heavy bag of trash downstairs to my garbage can. I tripped on the last step (at the unlighted porch) and took a miserable fall. I fell onto the downstairs porch. It is an old wooden porch, with much rough paint and splintered wood. My face went sliding over that rough wood, along with the bones and muscles that landed hard.

I thought I laid there a while, making sure my bones were ok. But today I went down there and saw a significant pool of blood where my face landed. So I have a hunch that I must have lost consciousness for a while, while my face bled.

I was astonished when I got back upstairs and saw the state of my face. I kinda looked like Rocky after a miserable fight. I was surprised. And I was scared. Several folks offered counsel Monday night, for which I was grateful. I took the advice to keep ice on my face, as well as Ibuprofen, to combat the swelling. And I had Tylenol #3 to deal with the pain.

I spent Tuesday doing the same. Ice and codeine, my new Best Friends.

After a day of dozing with icepacks and codeine, my sleep cycles were out of synch, so I couldn't get onto a regular sleep cycle. But I went to work at noon today.

It was rather miserable today. I tried to keep the right side of my face toward people. But sometimes I failed, and they were horrified when they saw the left side of my face. I didn't have an easy or lighthearted story to share with them.

And things got kinda miserable for me. My face wounds have gotten worse-looking. It feels like my brain is foggy. And the pain grew throughout the day. Not just in my face, but in the other body-parts on the left side of my body that took the fall. And my skull hurts. Day-um, it hurts.

So … I finally broke down and called my doc this afternoon. I have an appointment tomorrow morning. I worry that the swelling isn't diminishing. I worry that perhaps I didn't clean the wounds well enough. I worry about the scarring that will occur if I tend this on my own, without a doctor's attention.

I am grateful to those of you who have harangued me to get myself to the doctor. I probably should have paid attention to you earlier. But I'm finally going to do it tomorrow. I thank you deeply for your concern and advice.

I am sorry to take a blog-post with my personal crap. I hope to post soon about more important issues.

25 Comments:

Blogger Josephine- said...

Since when is your health and well being NOT an important issue!?

Take care of yourself, you'll be in my prayers.

1/21/2009 10:16 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Thanks, Josephine. But I mostly try to discuss other issues here -- not myself.

I am grateful for your concern.

1/21/2009 10:38 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

Oh dear - I did that the day we went to see our first grandchild --- fell in the middle of the street with total face plant. Tore up my lip and side of my face - it is such a stunning thing to do. Definitely get to a doctor and check it out. I am sure you did all the right first aid - but good to be assured. Prayers.

1/21/2009 11:00 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Deep thanks, Ann. Yes, I tried to do all the first aid just right ... but I got worried today when it seems to be getting worse, not better.

I am comforted to hear you took such a plunge, too. Thank you for telling me that.

1/21/2009 11:09 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

It often looks worse for the following days as all the bruises show up and the swelling reaches its peak. Then you can look forward to yellow and green as you heal! continued prayers

1/22/2009 12:06 AM  
Blogger Lindy said...

I wish I'd seen this two days ago. You HAVE to get to a doc.

If you have a brain injury you may not be able to tell if you are thinking clearly or not.

Do report back as soon as you can.

1/22/2009 12:44 AM  
Blogger Göran Koch-Swahne said...

Do get to a doctor, very soon!

Love from Sweden!

1/22/2009 6:04 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth Kaeton said...

The problem with facial injuries is that there IS lots of blood because the veins are so near the face. That's why there's such a lot of bruises and soreness, too. I'm glad you are going to see a doc. Let us know your progress.

1/22/2009 7:14 AM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Deep thanks. I'll post an update after I see the doc.

1/22/2009 7:15 AM  
Blogger Pfalz prophet said...

Losing consciousness suggests a brain injury, probably minor since you're still blogging, but certainly any loss of consciousness means you need to see your doctor, who may refer you to a neurologist.

Please, Lisa, consider your doctor's visit as "not optional". You are in my prayers, that you heal up properly and take care of yourself. You are my inspiration to start blogging more.

1/22/2009 7:19 AM  
Blogger Brother David said...

Prayers for your recovery. Get well soon.

1/22/2009 7:24 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

We patiently await a report of sorts, so we will know how to pray more specifically for you...

1/22/2009 8:51 AM  
Blogger June Butler said...

Lisa, I'm so sorry. Prayers for you for a full and seedy recovery and that your pain will lessen quickly. And I am so relieved that that you will see a doctor today. Take care of yourself.

1/22/2009 9:13 AM  
Blogger susan s. said...

Just saw this at MadPriest's place. Ouch!
Falls down stairs can really hurt. And as Elizabeth says, face and head wounds bleed a lot.
Prayers for you Lisa.
Please, let us know how the doctor visit goes.

1/22/2009 9:23 AM  
Blogger Ellie Finlay said...

Oh, I'm so,so sorry Lisa. I took a bad fall recently (walking my dog; dumb story...) and screwed up my back royally. It's been a long slow recovery and I'm still not 100% so you really, really, really have my SINCERE sympathy.

Hang in there. Pain is a bitch.

1/22/2009 9:26 AM  
Blogger KJ said...

Prayers for health and healing!

1/22/2009 10:36 AM  
Blogger Lois Keen said...

Yes, it gets worse before it gets better, but no matter what, please keep that appointment with the doc tomorrow. Prayers for you, Lisa.

1/22/2009 11:29 AM  
Blogger PseudoPiskie said...

I'm a little late adding my sympathy but here it is. Am curious to see the result of your doctor visit. Hope all is healing normally. Hugs.

1/22/2009 12:17 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Thanks, y'all. I am truly amazed at your outpouring of kindness and at the stories you have shared. I am in awe and touched.

I've now posted another update. My doc thinks things are looking ok. It's going as well as it can. I'm still very sore, left with a big headache, and a miserable-looking face.

Thanks to all who dropped in. And I know I have the generous MadPriest to thank for most of this. Thank you!

1/22/2009 7:17 PM  
Blogger June Butler said...

May God grant you a speedy return to full health and freedom from pain, Lisa.

1/22/2009 7:28 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

You are very dear, Grandmère. Thank you.

1/22/2009 7:38 PM  
Blogger JimB said...

Lisa, you take care! Hear?

I am still too pain medicated to write much, But briefly: A week ago Thursday I awoke in horrible.The DX was pancreatitus caused by the discharge of a gallblader stone.

I have been on every other hour morphine nearl 24x7 since. I am finally home, but pain is still non-trivial. The expcataion is that I continue to be living with substantial amounts of Vicadin until Tuesday, then have a cysto to verify the galebladder aspect. If th is confirimed I anticipate having the galbalder removed the middle of next week...

I literaally cannot describe the pain.

I hope you fell better soon!

FWIW

1/23/2009 8:37 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

Yikes - Jim - prayers.

1/23/2009 9:03 PM  
Blogger June Butler said...

Jim, I'm so sorry. Prayers for you, too.

1/23/2009 9:17 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Oh, Jim! I am so sorry!

I was beginning to get my accident into perspective, but you sure did it!

Prayers continue for you!

1/23/2009 11:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home