Friday, August 01, 2008

Quote of the Day

From Susan Russell, writing in the Guardian about the Windsor Continuation Group's demand for a moratorium (prospective and retrospective) on the ordination of gay/lesbian people and on the blessing of gay/lesbian covenants:

The Windsor Continuation Group has presented the bishops with nothing less than a "Sophie's choice" – telling them to choose between walking with brother and sister Anglicans who disagree with them on issues of human sexuality or walking with their brother and sister Anglicans who happen to be gay or lesbian.

It is time for the bishops to step up and say that gay and lesbian Anglicans are not for sale as bargaining chips in this game of global church politics – that the sacrifice of their lives and vocations in this church is too high a price to pay for institutional unity.

For at the end of the day, there is an ontological difference between feeling excluded because you're disagreed with and being excluded because of who you are.

Amen!

4 Comments:

Blogger Cany said...

I have a feeling that this is precisely what WILL be said at the 2009 convention. Yes, it should be said now, and perhaps it HAS been said within the confines of Lambeth by Bishops who see our brothers and sisters in Christ as a whole, not in fractions.

Susan's piece is wonderful, isn't it? She is such a wonderful writer and I am SO glad she is an Episcopalian! She and I are in the same diocese here in CA, though I have not met her. I have spoken of her to visiting Bishops to our Parish (each of whom had marvelous things to say about her!) as well I have had conversations about the concept of a covenant. Last I heard, "It ain't gonna happen," was the message given me.

I am carefully optomistic, at least about TEC or, as Gene would say, "hopeful". Maybe I am both.

8/01/2008 6:38 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

I'm not sure what you mean, Cany, about this being what will be said at GC2009. I believe the House of Deputies will move forward and will reject the schismatics' demands. What are you saying?

8/01/2008 7:32 PM  
Blogger Cany said...

I had one foot out the door when writing my comment... we're on the same page, just expressed myself poorly:)

Sidenote: I was going to watch a video, and thought I got a comedy, but somehow it is The Mission, a fabulous film, but certainly not a comedy. sigh. Don't think my heart could take that tonight.

8/01/2008 11:48 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Thanks for the clarification. Sounds like we're both optimistic ... at least about TEC.

Your anecdote reminds me of the time when I desperately needed a comedy, and knew there was a Robin Williams movie at the theater, so I went. And saw ... What Dreams May Come. It's on my list of very favorites now, but sure wasn't what I wanted at the time.

8/02/2008 7:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home