Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Sudanese Demands

The Statement of the Sudanese Bishops to the Lambeth Conference on the ECS Position on Human Sexuality specifically asks TEC:
- To refrain from ordaining practicing homosexuals as bishops or priests
- To refrain from approving rites of blessing for same-sex relationships
- To cease court actions with immediate effect;
- To comply with Resolution 1:10 of the 1998 Lambeth Conference
- To respect the authority of the Bible

In my last few posts, I've written mostly out of anger. Here, I write in both anger and profound grief.

The "Sudanese" encomium sounds so much like Akinola-speak that I have to wonder where it came from. Did it really come from Archbishop Daniel and Bishop Bullen? Are they really writing this tripe?

When he was in the Diocese of Missouri back in May, Archbishop Daniel met many gay clergy. Could he now dare to say this to their faces? Has he actually met Bishop Robinson? I gather not, for I gather he would flee from him just like Archbishop Akinola when he recoiled when he met Louie Crew.

After the many days that we spent with Archbishop Daniel back in May, I would challenge him to come back to Missouri, line up all the people who welcomed him so graciously, and tell us whom he has decided does not "respect the authority of the Bible." … And then I will read to him the parable of the wheat and tares that we heard last Sunday.

I dare say that our gay/lesbian parishioners exhibit at least as much holiness as the priests in Sudan who bought their "brides" with sheep and cattle.

How did the "cease court actions" make its way into this statement? Is Archbishop Daniel ignorant of the facts? Parishes in TEC are trying to abscond with their goods intact. I spent a good bit of time with Archbishop Daniel, and this was never part of our conversation. I wonder whether he has even heard from Episcopalians what issues are at play. Or did he just let people like Akinola and Minns whisper in his ear?

He wants us to comply with Lambeth 1:10? Then let him begin to comply with it, too. Lambeth 1:10 called on all Anglicans to listen to the experience of gay/lesbian Christians. But Archbishop Daniel – parroting Akinola et al – claims there are no gay men or lesbians in Sudan.

Most distressing to me is the Sudanese bishops' admonition that we need to "respect the authority of the Bible." If I did not respect the authority of the Bible, I never would have taken the gazillion vaccinations, spent thousands of dollars, and traveled thousands of miles to be with Anglicans in Sudan. My friends here respect the Bible. And, very often, they have to overcome the venomous words of people like Archbishop Daniel in order to follow Jesus. He has become a millstone.

If I can continue to support the Diocese of Lui – and that question is very much up in the air tonight – it will be despite Chief Pharisee Daniel Deng Bul.

5 Comments:

Blogger RudigerVT said...

Heartbreaking, Lisa.

This is betrayal, pure and simple. It hurts. Horribly.

I feel awful for you and for all the people who've been treated in this craven, dishonorable fashion. I am guessing that you in no way saw it coming.

LPR

7/22/2008 9:24 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

You are correct, Rudigervt. From all I heard, it seemed that the conference with the Sudanese bishops and those from the UK & TEC had been very honest and forthright.

Daniel blindsided me.

7/22/2008 10:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"If I can continue to support the Diocese of Lui – and that question is very much up in the air tonight – it will be despite Chief Pharisee Daniel Deng Bul."

I would encourage you to keep up your support for the Diocese of Lui. Think not of its leaders, but of its members - the people you met when you visited. I disdain President Bush, but continue to live in America, work on Katrina relief efforts, fight for Indian sovereignty, and push the candidates I do support, etc. etc. Standing by an institution is not the same as standing by its leaders. Please, remember +Daniel's people even if you can no longer remember him.

7/23/2008 10:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BTW, all of these comments out of the blue must seem strange. So let me back up - hello, Lisa! My name is Nathan. Pleased to make your acquaintance!

You've been on my own blogroll for quite some time, but I stumbled across your Sudan posts today via Episcopal Cafe. While I have been blogging for awhile, it's only the last few weeks that I've really started to dive into other Episcopal blogs. I certainly like yours!

7/23/2008 10:47 AM  
Blogger Lisa Fox said...

Hi, Nathan. Nice to meet ya! And thanks for the compliment.

Most especially, thank you for speaking up on behalf of my Good Angel. She has been continuing to whisper in my ear. It's just hard to hear her over the rushing waves of hurt and anger.

7/23/2008 12:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home